Do car covers work to protect from rain/water? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 94-98 and 9-3 99-02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2011, 02:10 PM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Do car covers work to protect from rain/water?

We get a load of rain on the Oregon coast every year and the issue with our Vert top and other areas of the car is all the rain getting dumped onto and into the car. This happens when the car is sitting out on my wife's days off and during the nights or afternoons when she works. Car is parked inside a garage where she works.

To the point:

Will a car cover do anything to keep the water from entering the car when it is sitting? If so, how well do they do at keeping water from getting into the car (i.e. how effective are they?).

If a car cover is not going to do the job properly, is there anything else that would do the job such as say, a tarp???

Any ideas or thoughts are greatly appreciated!

As always, thanks everyone!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2011, 02:50 PM   #2
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Progression View Post
We get a load of rain on the Oregon coast every year and the issue with our Vert top and other areas of the car is all the rain getting dumped onto and into the car. This happens when the car is sitting out on my wife's days off and during the nights or afternoons when she works. Car is parked inside a garage where she works.

To the point:

Will a car cover do anything to keep the water from entering the car when it is sitting? If so, how well do they do at keeping water from getting into the car (i.e. how effective are they?).

If a car cover is not going to do the job properly, is there anything else that would do the job such as say, a tarp???

Any ideas or thoughts are greatly appreciated!

As always, thanks everyone!
Car cover prob won't do shit when it comes to keeping the rain out, but a tarp will. Why not put a car cover on to protect the car, then a tarp to keep the rain out? Wish you lived closer, I sent a 9-3 vert with a perfect top to the junkyard about a year ago. It is still there.
1995 900 SE Turbo
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-15-2011, 11:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aikmanson View Post
Car cover prob won't do shit when it comes to keeping the rain out, but a tarp will. Why not put a car cover on to protect the car, then a tarp to keep the rain out? Wish you lived closer, I sent a 9-3 vert with a perfect top to the junkyard about a year ago. It is still there.
Darn. I do have a cover here, but problem I have is the existing one has a leaking piston and I don't have a garage to pull off the existing and replace with a 44K miles one. I wish I lived closer just to have some Saab support as 99% of the people are from back East!

Just curious, how long did it take you to take apart the top and/or how long of a job would it be to simply take off the existing one and replace it with the light used one (top only and not pulling pistons/tonneau/etc.)?

Thanks!
Old 05-17-2011, 07:19 AM   #4
Avid TSL User

Don't go cheap on a car cover. If you want cheap, just get a tarp, they're cheaper.

I use a car cover all the time. First, a clean car is very important. If you cover your car dirty, the road grit on the paint can scratch the car over time with the cover on the surface. A car cover should breath because any moisture between cover and car surface needs to evaporate through the cover to the outside to keep the car surface clean and dry. Always keep the inside of the car cover clean. When removed, I fold outside edge to outside edge so the inside does not get dirty.

I cover my car when parked for more than a week. I always wash the car off before parking and covering. It always looks great when I pull it off and drive around. The cover keeps dust and dirt that can also damage paint over time with acids produced with humidity.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:56 PM   #5

One other thing I cannot find any info on is a company that makes car covers has a PVC built one that they claim is made and meant for waterproofing the car vs. their or any other company's all weather covers. Has anyone ever heard of a PVC cover for a car??? I did a search and saw nothing but ones for bikes or baby carriages)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.