ATF Flush? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2009, 12:47 AM   #1
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Moreboost
ATF Flush?

I think its time to flush the transmission fluid in the 9-3. It's been slowing taking longer to shift and its starting to shift hard. (no record of it ever being done before, as far as i know so it might be on original fluid, who knows) I'v never done it before but how hard can it be? I'm guessing its similar to changing oil...

Procedure:

Put the car up on ramps
Find and open drain plug
Let fluid drain out into container
Pour some new fluid in, wait until it starts pouring out the bottom
Refit drain plug
Top up fluid
Lower car and drive away

The end

Am i missing anything? How many liters of fluid do i need, 4-5 more less? What brand should i get? Do i need to add any additives etc?? Anything else i should know about, tips suggestions etc etc

Im trying to find a write up

TIA

(Its a 99 9-3 auto with almost 130k on the clock)

Edit:

Alright i found this

http://www.thesaabsite.com/auto-trans-flush-900-93.htm

The guy said he started up the car and shifted through the gears, is it safe to start the car up with not enough fluid in?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Moreboost; 08-27-2009 at 12:54 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2009, 04:49 AM   #2
JK
Elder

Why would you wait to put the drain plug in until after you start filling it?

Other than that you might want to think about changing it about 3 times in close succession since the majority of the fulid will be in the little passages and sitting the torque converter.

I usually do a drain and fill, drive 5-10 miles, drain and fill, drive 5-10 and drain and fill one last time. I do it about every 3rd oil change now.

edit: now that I think about it, I probably did the tripple flush once and I think more recently I have only drained and filled twice because the fluid looked decent after the 2 draining.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:18 AM   #3
Elder

I had my tranny flushed and filled a couple thousand miles ago (28,000 miles then), even though I knew I didnt need to. Its just cheap security, especially because I was upping the power.

Use only the recommended Saab ATF, its the best possible fluid for the auto-box.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 08-27-2009, 05:52 AM   #4
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian900se View Post
I had my tranny flushed and filled a couple thousand miles ago (28,000 miles then), even though I knew I didnt need to. Its just cheap security, especially because I was upping the power.

Use only the recommended Saab ATF, its the best possible fluid for the auto-box.
Thanks for the advice. I've been using Mobil 1 synthetic dexron but I'm going to switch to Mobil 1 3309. It is the recommended ATF (same as Saab) and it is cheaper.

1997 900SE Talladega (SQR stage 4)
2006 9-3SS Aero
Old 08-27-2009, 10:06 AM   #5
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK View Post
Why would you wait to put the drain plug in until after you start filling it?

Other than that you might want to think about changing it about 3 times in close succession since the majority of the fulid will be in the little passages and sitting the torque converter.

I usually do a drain and fill, drive 5-10 miles, drain and fill, drive 5-10 and drain and fill one last time. I do it about every 3rd oil change now.

edit: now that I think about it, I probably did the tripple flush once and I think more recently I have only drained and filled twice because the fluid looked decent after the 2 draining.
I always do it when i change oil. I only pour a little bit until i can see it come out the bottom clean, make sure all the old oil gets pushed out. Idk if it works the same way with transmission fluid.

Ill definitely triple flush, thanks for the suggestion. One more thing, can i use some cheapo fluid to flush and then fill it with the proper recommended fluid or should i just stick with the recommended one for all 3 flushes??

Old 08-27-2009, 11:42 AM   #6
JK
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moreboost View Post
I always do it when i change oil. I only pour a little bit until i can see it come out the bottom clean, make sure all the old oil gets pushed out. Idk if it works the same way with transmission fluid.

Ill definitely triple flush, thanks for the suggestion. One more thing, can i use some cheapo fluid to flush and then fill it with the proper recommended fluid or should i just stick with the recommended one for all 3 flushes??
It makes no difference in either case actually, moreso in an auto trans which holds several quarts in the torque converter. You will NEVER get all the aold fluid out, so don't bother, you're just making more of a mess for yourself.

In a motor there will also me old oil in the nooks and crannies, plenty in the head. Pouring oil in with the plug out isn't going to help this at all.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:39 PM   #7
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK View Post
It makes no difference in either case actually, moreso in an auto trans which holds several quarts in the torque converter. You will NEVER get all the aold fluid out, so don't bother, you're just making more of a mess for yourself.

In a motor there will also me old oil in the nooks and crannies, plenty in the head. Pouring oil in with the plug out isn't going to help this at all.
You learn something new everyday, i guess i wont waste my time with it anymore

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.