removing shift knob - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 94-98 and 9-3 99-02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2009, 06:38 PM   #1
Avid TSL User

removing shift knob

how do you remove the shift knob on a 9-3?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2009, 07:18 PM   #2
Flirting With TSL Addiction

hacksaw
Old 08-23-2009, 07:21 PM   #3
Elder

yeah pretty much you have to destroy the old shift knob if you want to replace it with a new one.

well just to get it off you have to destroy it lol
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-03-2009, 05:16 PM   #4
SAABeginner

shift knob

if you mean just the shift cap, the rubber part with the 5 speed grid on it, then just twist it like a bottle cap to release the glue then pull it straight up. there is a black ring that will come loose which just fills in the bottom of the cap and keeps it tight, if you're replacing it just glue up the black ring put some glue in the top of the cap and pop it on.
Old 09-03-2009, 05:26 PM   #5
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
I wrap the knob in a clean rag and use a strap wrench to break the glue free. Then just lift up.
Old 09-03-2009, 05:40 PM   #6
Elder

Send a message via AIM to viggenkid
i just grabbed it and pulled up. hard.

took some force but it popped right off.
Old 09-03-2009, 05:57 PM   #7
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by viggenkid View Post
i just grabbed it and pulled up. hard.

took some force but it popped right off.
Not every one is as strong as you Craig.
Old 09-03-2009, 05:58 PM   #8
srp
Elder

I'd be more concerned about breaking the plastic ball mount or reverse/5th gate by brute forcing it.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:02 PM   #9
Elder

Send a message via AIM to viggenkid
i actually pulled off the reverse/5th gate as well. its just a friction fit. put the new knob on and tap the whole assembly back into place.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:29 AM   #10

a 1" wrench is the perfect size for removing the knob. Lift the reverse gate up, put the wrench under the knob, smack the wrench with a hammer, the knob should pop right off. Another pair of hands can make it alot easier.
Old 09-04-2009, 04:32 PM   #11
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

there is three clips inside the knob. put something in there to relase them and the knob comes right off.

Old 09-04-2009, 06:22 PM   #12
srp
Elder

I believe he is taking about removing the shift knob from the shaft. Not from the boot/reverse lock out piece.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:00 PM   #13
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
Quote:
Originally Posted by srp View Post
I believe he is taking about removing the shift knob from the shaft. Not from the boot/reverse lock out piece.
What was showed in the above post in the photo's is the exact correct process for removing the shift know itself to replace it.

When you use the wrench and hammer method you'll expose those prongs which latch onto the knob from underneath. Depress the clips and remove.
Old 09-05-2009, 08:38 AM   #14
SAAB Road Master

The knob was supposed to have been epoxied onto the shaft from the factory, so if the epoxy hasn't been broken and isn't brittle enough to just crack, releasing the 3 clips isn't going to make the knob pop loose.
Old 09-05-2009, 09:06 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy R. View Post
The knob was supposed to have been epoxied onto the shaft from the factory, so if the epoxy hasn't been broken and isn't brittle enough to just crack, releasing the 3 clips isn't going to make the knob pop loose.
If you need to remove the "shift knob assemble" which combines the knob and leather gaitor, just pull really hard upward and don't smack yourself in the face (ask me how i know.)

Just the knob from the assemble is what I am showing.

Wasn't the question for a shift knob?
Old 04-03-2012, 11:58 AM   #16
TSLMember

I'm at wits end with this thing. I just installed a short shifter and now I'm trying to transfer the boot and knob from the old shifter. I ran a knife along the underside of the knob and removed the black plastic ring. All I've gotten so far when I pull up on the knob is it clicking past those three tabs and then it stops, which is about a half inch up.

There must be a real way to do this without having to destroy the old one!
Old 04-03-2012, 12:23 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyonce View Post
I'm at wits end with this thing. I just installed a short shifter and now I'm trying to transfer the boot and knob from the old shifter. I ran a knife along the underside of the knob and removed the black plastic ring. All I've gotten so far when I pull up on the knob is it clicking past those three tabs and then it stops, which is about a half inch up.

There must be a real way to do this without having to destroy the old one!
Did you view the post above with the images? Those three tabs need pressed down as you lift up on the leather part until the knob comes off. ( I just got the short shifter kit as well and will be doing this very shortly...) I might missunderstand where you are in the process, but i've done it several times without issues.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:57 PM   #18
TSLMember

I figured it out. I was pulling up by grabbing the knob, but what I was SUPPOSED to be doing was grabbing the black sheath that goes over the shift rod. Earlier I was delicately prying at it with a screwdriver to see if it was held on by tabs as well...but the whole thing slides on and off with a bit of convincing.

And yes, I did read the earlier post and didn't see or feel the tabs. When I pulled up and twisted on the knob it came right off of them, however.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:53 PM   #19

Help me out... I need to do this too.

So the steps are:

1. Twist the knob to break the epoxy free

2. Do I slip some thin things in to release the three clips next? Do I pull on the leather knob or the whole reverse tube/mechanism?
Old 04-04-2012, 03:56 PM   #20
srp
Elder

I usually just power shift into 4th gear with the motor off.

Just put it in 4th and pull up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.