Help with my broken door handle (cable maybe) - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 94-98 and 9-3 99-02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2007, 03:36 PM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Help with my broken door handle (cable maybe)

My buddy tried to open the locked passengers door last night and he pulled on the handle normaly and something popped... cant open the door from the inside, does anyone know if there is a cable or something that runs to the latch that lets the door open? Should i try and open this and look for myself?

Thanks

~Bryce
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2007, 03:38 PM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to AeroDynamic
taking your door panel off is a good first step.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-19-2007, 03:39 PM   #3
Elder

Send a message via MSN to liketheword Send a message via Yahoo to liketheword
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroDynamic View Post
taking your door panel off is a good first step.

Not all of us have "only" 3 doors to worry about.

ps. Put some Inca's on and the door will weld it self shut.

Old 11-19-2007, 03:43 PM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to AeroDynamic
Quote:
Originally Posted by liketheword View Post
Not all of us have "only" 3 doors to worry about.

ps. Put some Inca's on and the door will weld it self shut.
Whats a three door have to do with anything? These locking systems are not that complicated. If it was a 9000 I would give him specific instructions on how to fix it but its a ng900/93 so I am sure things are a little different.

Taking something apart and looking at it is a good first step to solving the problem.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:43 PM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to b dash rian
pop the door panel off, also pull out the handle (there is a screw on the handle, look closely). its a bit tricky, but not too bad (especially once you've done it a few times) to reconnect the inside lever to the arm in the door.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Football stars play for the Steelers. Suck it, Cleveland.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:50 PM   #6
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

This may help you to take the door card off to see what went wrong.
http://www.saabcentral.com/~munki/te..._door_card.htm
Old 11-05-2008, 08:21 PM   #7
Elder

Send a message via Yahoo to aireeca
Hey-ya! Can anyone tell me whether the above link is the same for a OG 9-3 five-door. Something popped in the door and inside door handle no worky anymore.

Last edited by aireeca; 11-05-2008 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Feeling less like Letterman and more like I should be shakin' it like a Polaroid picture. You know what to do.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:13 AM   #8

there is no cable - i bet what poppoed off was the little metal linkage arm that connects the inside door handle. Pop off the little circular trim piece inside the door handle, there is a torx screw behind it, a t20 I think. Pop out the trim piece, and handle, you'll see the linkage arm behind it. theyre extyremely easy to put back on. you just sort of set it with the handle itself, kinda hard to explain, but you'll see once you get it off.
Old 11-07-2008, 05:01 AM   #9
Elder

Cool. The door was locked when this happened and I definitely heard a "pop" rather than a shatter or something else along those lines.

Tomorrow morning is all-Saab-fixin'-all-the-time. And, amazingly, two-thirds of the repairs are to Saab door issues. Wheee!!!! I'll try to take photos and post up a how-to.
Old 11-07-2008, 05:52 AM   #10

what other kind of door repairs are you doing? I've been through/in/out of every single one of these damn doors. maybe I can help?
Old 11-07-2008, 05:56 AM   #11
Elder

Well, I'm going to replace the window rollers while I'm in there, mostly because they make a "ker-chunk" when the window is about two-thirds down. Is there anything else I should clean, oil, attend to while I've got the panel off?

The other door repairs involve my c900 and tossing a new piece of passenger's side window glass in there. That's not going to be too hard, though. Door panel off. Vacuum up broken glass. Get remainder of old piece out. Screw in new piece. Tada!
Old 11-10-2008, 10:35 AM   #12

I fixed the door myself it took 20 mins very easy to do.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:50 AM   #13
Elder

Cool. I think I'm going to strap on the old headlamp from the Canada trip and get to fixing this tonight. It is getting old, real old, having to climb across the passenger seat to get out of my damn car.

Did you have to take the whole panel off or just the little door handle trim?
Old 11-10-2008, 11:23 AM   #14

so what'd you figure out with this problem last weekend??

If you're trying to fix the rollers also, you'll need to take off the whole door panel - but they're really easy to get off as well. Three torx bolts on the underside of the panel, the one behind the door handle trim, and popping off the other side mirror trim pieces to do this..

You should definitely oil the cable and pieces that control the window regulator, and any other moving parts.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:27 AM   #15
Elder

I didn't get time to do this last weekend. Putting the c900 back together ended up taking more time than I thought. I snagged some green rollers from the local dealer and I think I'm just going to the quick fix tonight and save the rollers for this weekend or next because there is S-N-O-W falling lately in Cleveland and the c900, even though it is just a base, need not be rollin' in that.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:45 AM   #16

you people that have dealers in your town are LUCKY. There isnt a Saab dealership within 70 miles of here. However, the BEST Saab repair shop is 4 hrs away, Taliaferro Saab in Springfield.
Old 11-14-2008, 04:30 PM   #17
Elder

So, I finally got around to pulling the handle out of the door tonight. That little hooky part that's supposed to catch on the door release?

Busted.

Gone.

Broke.

Yuck.

I'm leaving it off because, at least with it off, I can use a screwdriver to let me out of the damn car.

Boo.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:13 AM   #18

crap.. I just gave away two of those door handles a couple weeks ago. Junky yard time.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:33 AM   #19
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyeroc View Post
crap.. I just gave away two of those door handles a couple weeks ago. Junky yard time.
Yeah, well we'll see about that. The one u-pull it I've found around here doesn't have anything newer than 1990 and eEuro wants $44 new. Might be time for eBay or car-part.com. The first snow (and salt) flew last night, Little Red c900 has been put to sleep in the garage and I foresee using my key or a screwdriver to open the door getting old fast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.