My $350 dolphin gray '03 9-3 SE vert - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2017, 07:18 PM   #1
Elder

My $350 dolphin gray '03 9-3 SE vert

This car was posted on saabcentral. It was a repo. Has been sitting most likely since 2012 judging by the last registration/inspection on the windshield.

So my fiancé a friend and I all left here around 4:30 this morning to head down to pick up this car. We arrived at the business around 10:30. Looked at the car and decided I still wanted it. I paid for the car and filled out their bill of sale. Yes, I paid $350 for this car. No keys, not knowing if it runs or not. But with a valid title. By 11:30 we were at the notary public, to have the title notarized. We were here for least half an hour, but it felt like forever.

I am not a fan of the way Pa handles vehicle transfers.

We finally got back to the business and devised a plan to pull the car from its frozen resting place. The oem tow hook was nowhere to be found. So reluctantly, we hooked a strap to the strut brace and after giving the brake rotors and calipers a few good hits with a small sledge hammer; the car started to roll freely.

Now that the car was in the street we backed up the trailer and began to winch it up. This process was the fastest part of the day. By about 1:00 the car was loaded on the trailer and we were ready to go. I then realized that I had left my driver's license at the notary office. So we had to backtrack to get that, more waiting. Now we stopped for food and then headed home.

At about quarter to 7 we got back to our apartment.

My fiancé was gracious enough to let me pull her 9-5 aero out of our garage and park it in the snow so that I could stow the new addition out of the weather to be worked on.

So we rolled her car out, backed the trailer up, and rolled the convertible into its new place of residence.

Then we had to return the trailer to uhaul, and again return home.

All said and done, we were gone from 4:30A.M. To 9 P.M.

Here it sits until I can look it over thoroughly
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2017, 07:47 PM   #2
Drew In Houston
Elder

Nice. The Double Y's are worth $350
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-11-2017, 02:09 AM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Cark
great score!

Old 02-11-2017, 06:45 AM   #4
Drew In Houston
Elder

How'd you find that thing for sale anyway? Auto/manual?
Old 02-11-2017, 07:14 AM   #5
Elder

The car is a manual. 1 of 43 according to esaabparts production info page. A member on saabcentral found it, didn't buy it and was kind enough to share with the rest of the members. It was sitting in a repo yard in Johnstown pa.
Old 02-11-2017, 11:42 AM   #6
Elder

I did a little bit of clean up on the car this morning. Pulled the headlights, corner lenses and the front bumper. Then after cleaning out all of the animal nests and walnuts, I reassembled it. I also installed a brand new battery.

I attempted to put the top down. Of course, there is something not working. The Sid says "check soft top latches" and "soft top failure" I've never owned a 9-3 convertible. So this will be new territory for me.

The good. All of the little pieces on a viggen body that normally go missing, are intact. The jack covers are there. The tow hook cover is there, and the mesh bumper piece is still there as well.

Old 02-11-2017, 12:19 PM   #7
WSW
Elder

Score!!! Looks pretty clean

Lmk if there's anything else you need for it
Old 02-11-2017, 02:23 PM   #8
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Dang!! What a great purchase. I love it. Not quite a viggen but close enough! Thank goodness Saab decided to clear out all those extra viggen parts on the verts last year of production!!
Old 02-11-2017, 03:03 PM   #9
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Cark
I'd love to find an 03 vert w/ vig package and a 5spd... in any color
Old 02-11-2017, 04:44 PM   #10
Elder

I grabbed the owner's manual to read up on how to operate the soft top, and found this...

The original window sticker, as well as a hand full of service receipts, along with a sludge recall letter.

The receipts take us into 2009 still in the family of the original owners. I have found 3 different names on the paperwork. All people with the same last name.
Old 02-11-2017, 06:20 PM   #11
Drew In Houston
Elder

Whew. Can you imagine paying $43,090 for that car?

The B205R is a better engine than the B235R in my opinion.
Old 02-11-2017, 07:47 PM   #12
Elder

I have a hard time wanting to pay $1000 for a car.

I'm ecstatic to have found this car. It's a viggen without actually being a viggen. No hard to find transmission or axles.

I also prefer the 2 liter to the 2.3. This is the first t7 9-3 I've owned.
Old 02-12-2017, 10:27 AM   #13
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
So what are the plans for it? Fix it up and keep it? Or you going to flip it?
Old 02-12-2017, 03:34 PM   #14
Elder

I know it might upset some people, but I'm going to make this even more of a viggen clone. I have a set of viggen badges for the fenders. As well as a viggen dash, and sill plates on their way from WSW. I will most likely get an estimate on having the hood and driver fender repainted, as they seem to have had a sub par repaint done in the past.

I have a sport exhaust front strut bar, 22mm rear arb and aero front and rear vented brakes for the car. I might do a mild tune. I plan to leave the turbo and dp as well as the intercooler and engine mounts all in stock form.

This is my tenth Saab since 2007. I have put a lot of aftermarket parts on all of the cars. I plan to appreciate this car in its mostly stock form.

I am still waiting for the new twice and matching transponder to arrive. I don't even know if the car runs yet. Fingers crossed.
Old 02-13-2017, 05:44 AM   #15
Avid TSL User

Send a message via AIM to caseysturrup

great score, glad someone was able to save that one! LOVE our convertible
Old 02-13-2017, 05:54 AM   #16
Elder

I kind of wish this one had the tan interior as well. But I'm happy with the black.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:21 AM   #17
Avid TSL User

Send a message via AIM to caseysturrup
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojohnny View Post
I kind of wish this one had the tan interior as well. But I'm happy with the black.
the tan is certainly a nice contrast against the paint, but you can't really go wrong with black.
Old 02-13-2017, 09:37 AM   #18
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

cool car!
Old 02-13-2017, 12:40 PM   #19
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to chevyman
Awesome deal, especially if it runs! I bought a similar car over the holidays (auto instead of a manual). It runs well but is in a little worse shape, paid a grand for it. Seems like you did good!
Old 02-13-2017, 01:54 PM   #20
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trionic3000 View Post
Whew. Can you imagine paying $43,090 for that car?

The B205R is a better engine than the B235R in my opinion.
Well, they usually went out the door for $5K less, if that makes you feel any better
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.