My $350 dolphin gray '03 9-3 SE vert - Page 5 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2017, 04:55 AM   #81
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Looks great, what a cool find/story

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2017, 07:50 PM   #82
Elder

A little more progress this weekend. The rams for the top have been replaced. And Hilary cleaned and painted the side trim.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-22-2017, 05:10 AM   #83
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Looking good. What do you guys use to paint the side trim? I've used forever black, but it is not forever...

Old 05-22-2017, 06:26 AM   #84
Elder

Duplicolor trim and bumper paint. It is a really quality paint, and easy to use.

To refresh everyone's memory, the ABS module is faulty. There is no communication with the tech2. So today I will be shipping the ABS module to BBA reman, to hopefully have it repaired.

I have also started to work on plumbing the sending units for our Zada-Tech gauge. There are a few difficult to find adapters that I need. I'm sure I will be able to make something work.

I will also soon be working on installing the Pedals that we got from GS.
Old 05-24-2017, 03:30 PM   #85
Elder

Some more work has been completed. I was having a difficult time trying to figure out where to tap for the coolant temp sensor. My solution was to actually tap the head of the banjo bolt that feeds the turbo. This might restrict flow a little. But it's the best I could come up with.

Yes, I know it isn't centered. My drill bit walked. Oh, I also have silicone hoses that I will be installing at my leisure. I just happened to pull off the original upper hose. So I replaced it.

GS pedals were next on the list. A little bit of a pain working in the footwell, but it's done.

Lastly, a picture of the old rusted hydraulic rams. If anyone needs cores to send out for rebuild, I have some.

Old 05-26-2017, 01:26 PM   #86
Elder

The ABS module is back from BBA reman

And I got fittings to be able to mount the oil pressure sender for our gauge, along with the sender for the dummy light.

Old 05-28-2017, 11:13 AM   #87
Elder

Hilary was hard at work today scrubbing and vacuuming all of the junk out of the carpet. We got the interior really nice and clean. I forgot to take pictures with the seats back in the car though.

Old 05-28-2017, 04:32 PM   #88

I love taking the seats out to vacuum, and I really like power washing carpet. You would be surprised what comes out! I regularly powerwash quality floor mats though, substantially easier than removing the carpet!!

Looks good.
Old 05-28-2017, 06:32 PM   #89
Drew In Houston
Elder

For cleaning carpets I don't think it gets any easier than seats out in a convertible. That's going to be a nice car.

What are your plans for the engine bay?
Old 05-29-2017, 09:14 AM   #90
Elder

I'm really not sure how we are going to clean the engine bay. I want to just hose it down, but I worry I could mess up some of the electronics. I pulled the radiator fan this morning. There was a bunch of nesting and debris between it and the rad. I also replaced the intercooler hoses with silicone hoses.

I'm also bailing on installing the oil pressure sender on the back of the block. There's just not enough room to work with.
Old 05-29-2017, 10:12 AM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojohnny View Post
I'm also bailing on installing the oil pressure sender on the back of the block. There's just not enough room to work with.
It's not a real serviceable location, but if you remove the starter it is better. When I had mine out last and the starter down I also had the front section of exhaust out as well so there was good access then. But it is still extremely tight in there to swing a wrench.

The banjo on the turbo line is a much better option imho.
Old 05-29-2017, 05:18 PM   #92
Elder

Thanks Troy. I ordered two of them. One for the oil and one to replace the banjo that I tapped for the coolant temp sensor.

Hopefully we'll be putting this car on the road in the next couple of weeks.
Old 05-30-2017, 02:07 PM   #93
Elder

I pulled the valve cover this afternoon. I was pleasantly surprised to see how clean the valvetrain is on this car.

Last edited by turbojohnny; 05-31-2017 at 03:19 AM.
Old 05-30-2017, 06:19 PM   #94
Drew In Houston
Elder

Oh yeah! For sure that's how you want it to look. How many miles are on it? Looks like it had the PCV update, that's good too (maybe all the '03's came with it by that time?).

If you wanted to get real crazy about it, you could pull the spring/cap combo on the tensioner then pull the tensioner and count the clicks extension. I've thought about starting a thread to log extension vs. miles vs. known oil change info and see if people would contribute info. Over time if enough folks logged info on cars that had various oil change intervals known and unknown histories, you could just pull the tensioner, compare what you find with what's good or bad and have an idea of the wear for that engine..

Quote:
I pulled the valve cover this afternoon. I got a pleasant surprise. Really clean valvetrain on this car.

Last edited by Trionic3000; 05-30-2017 at 06:21 PM.
Old 05-31-2017, 02:50 AM   #95
Elder

This car has about 160k miles on it. I think it's 158 and change. It wouldn't hurt to pull the tensioner and measure it. If it was a 9-5 I would leave it alone. I've had trouble in the past getting the 9-5 tensioners to thread in properly. It was a real nightmare.
Old 05-31-2017, 02:14 PM   #96
Elder

I did not pull the tensioner. I may yet do that.

Replaced the valve cover. (The DIC bolts all snapped off) just did a little bit of cleaning under the hood.

Old 05-31-2017, 04:10 PM   #97
Avid TSL User

Are you keeping that valve cover? I think it looks good in that engine bay.
Old 05-31-2017, 06:30 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trionic3000 View Post
If you wanted to get real crazy about it, you could pull the spring/cap combo on the tensioner then pull the tensioner and count the clicks extension. I've thought about starting a thread to log extension vs. miles vs. known oil change info and see if people would contribute info.

My aero had 252k miles and was extended to 21.79 mm.

Last edited by Tboy; 06-01-2017 at 04:59 AM.
Old 06-01-2017, 04:05 AM   #99
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rl0089 View Post
Are you keeping that valve cover? I think it looks good in that engine bay.

Yes, I had this on my 900 vert. But it now has a new home on this car.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:29 AM   #100
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Yes, I had this on my 900 vert. But it now has a new home on this car.
Definitely adds to the engine bay, looks cool.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.