Make sure to take your 9-3 to a GOOD body shop! (If necessary...) - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab New 9-3 03+ Forum > General New 9-3 Posts and Information

General New 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general information pertaining to the new 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2010, 09:21 PM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Slow Joe Send a message via Yahoo to Slow Joe
Make sure to take your 9-3 to a GOOD body shop! (If necessary...)

So.. As some of you know mine and Kristie's 9-3 Convertible was in an accident before we got it. No big issue, right? Well it wouldn't of been if it was repaired 100% correctly... The body work is great, and everything else looks good... However when it came to attaching the door hinge, it seems that they decided to cut some corners...

I'll let the pics talk for themselves... (with rolling commentary, of course)

The hinge was seperating from the door slightly... Hrmm wonder why...

That's what it should of looked like...

Time to take the door off...

Oh look... No more door

Wait a sec... This don't look quite right...

My quick fix... I need to get stainless steel hardware, but this will suffice for the summer... Not quite how it left Sweden... But it's good and strong!

Good as new!

I just had to share this... I was... Amazed when I saw this... Come on people, don't be lazy ALL the time... :rolf At least it wasn't somewhere I took it, otherwise I would of been Hot!
'02 Saab 9-3 Viggen Covertible
'99 Saab 9-3 Viggen 3-Dr
'84 Saab 900 Turbo 3-Dr
'11 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Hemi
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2010, 09:14 AM   #2
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Where did you take the car?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-05-2010, 09:23 AM   #3
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

love the color.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.

Old 05-05-2010, 01:25 PM   #4

That damage was repaired prior to us purchasing the car so I don't know what body shop it was done at. The car was originally from MI....

Oh, and thanks for the compliment about the color! My wife loves it too!
'99 Saab 9-3 Viggen 3-Dr
'84 Saab 900 Turbo 3-Dr

Last edited by Slow Joe; 05-05-2010 at 01:28 PM.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:38 PM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to spgproject
oof that looks like crap. get that rust fixed before it spreads too.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:00 PM   #6

Yeah, the plan is to attack the rust this summer while I'm doing a more permenant repair on the door... My wife just wanted her car back, so... Luckily it's not that bad, just surface rust at this point...

I'm actually contemplating pulling the front fenders and checking the rest of the structure for rust... However from what I've noticed, that's the worst on the whole car... It is an '04... With 165k on the clock lol
'99 Saab 9-3 Viggen 3-Dr
'84 Saab 900 Turbo 3-Dr
Old 05-05-2010, 04:21 PM   #7
User
Elder

Send a message via AIM to zingZACH
Quote:
Originally Posted by spgproject View Post
oof that looks like crap. get that rust fixed before it spreads too.
x2... that'd be my biggest concern.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:25 PM   #8

Let me just clear one thing up... The nut DIDN'T rust out. The nut that was on the car there was tack welded in by the body shop that repaired the car. The welds broke, and the door dropped about 2", which made it near impossible to close... Rust really isn't an issue on the car other than that portion, of which I'm going to look more into this summer/fall.
'99 Saab 9-3 Viggen 3-Dr
'84 Saab 900 Turbo 3-Dr
Old 05-07-2010, 02:15 PM   #9
Elder

should have left the door off jeep style

This is my car, and it's for me. This is not for you

132417saab™©
AKA "numbers"
Old 05-07-2010, 02:31 PM   #10
JK
Elder

Ish...not 100% how those are supposed to mount, but typically there would be a sort of floating bar with two threaded holes that loosely bracketed in there. Like I said, I don't know how the 9-3SS/SC specifically is put together there, but it certainly wouldn't be with a tack welded nut.

Also, stainless shouldn't be needed there, it wouldn't have used stainless there from the factory, and it isn't going to do anything to help the rust situation from the "body work" they did there.
Old 05-07-2010, 02:51 PM   #11
Elder

Send a message via AIM to DeLorean
Some things body shops get away with are worse than murder. Generally it's a good idea to avoid cars with any sort of damage history.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:33 PM   #12

Eh, being in the car business I'm not afraid of cars with body work. Plus with my wife putting 50k+ miles/year on a car they tend to depreciate quickly so it saves us money in the long run since cars with accidents in their history tend to sell for substantially less than ones without. We're estimating that this car will have 300k+ within the next 2.5-3 years.

According to my Saab 9-3 WIS, from the factory there are threaded holes there, and that is how it's supposed to be. I'm guessing that when it was in the accident the hole towards the back was broken, stripped or had some other issue, and that's how they "fixed" it... By welding a nut in it's place. My fix at least gets the door back into alignment, and makes it so the door closes correctly again. I am planning on using stainless there just for the fact that I live in the Midwest, and we use LOTS of salt here... lol
'99 Saab 9-3 Viggen 3-Dr
'84 Saab 900 Turbo 3-Dr
Old 05-07-2010, 09:59 PM   #13

Odd thing to run into but it could be worse. I think the worst one we had roll through our shop was an eBay car that was tailended so bad that the top was bent to the point we can not get it to seal. Damn 6th bow is bent up between the latches. Sadly that one is a Lynx Yellow '08.

I would never rule out buying a repaired car. There's a car that comes into the shop all the time that is acutally 2 cars welded into one. The "car" is an '01 Aero that was hit so hard the body shop sectioned it at the B-pillars and welded another half on. From the outside and how it drives you would never know untill you lift up the back seat and find a silver painted floor in a red car.

The funniest part is you can run Carfax on both halves and each half comes up as no accidents. Never trust Carfax.

1979 99 GL "99 Super"
1999 S10 ZR2
1991 Mazda Miata
78' Turbo
Old 05-08-2010, 04:11 AM   #14
User
Elder

Send a message via AIM to zingZACH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saab99Super View Post
Odd thing to run into but it could be worse. I think the worst one we had roll through our shop was an eBay car that was tailended so bad that the top was bent to the point we can not get it to seal. Damn 6th bow is bent up between the latches. Sadly that one is a Lynx Yellow '08.

I would never rule out buying a repaired car. There's a car that comes into the shop all the time that is acutally 2 cars welded into one. The "car" is an '01 Aero that was hit so hard the body shop sectioned it at the B-pillars and welded another half on. From the outside and how it drives you would never know untill you lift up the back seat and find a silver painted floor in a red car.

The funniest part is you can run Carfax on both halves and each half comes up as no accidents. Never trust Carfax.
lol! That's hilarious.

Old 05-08-2010, 05:03 AM   #15
Elder

Send a message via AIM to DeLorean
I believe it. Thing with carfax as we all know if it's not reported (i.e, reported as any sort of loss to the insurance company, or a police report made) how would they possibly know about it? There are many types of accidents potentially unknown to carfax.
Old 05-08-2010, 01:00 PM   #16

Well, when we bought this one it was kinda funny... I knew the owner of the dealership and he said... "Joe, this is going to be an innexpensive one... (speaking about the car) But wait til you see the carfax"

"Vehicle involved in front end collision. Severe Damage Reported. Vehicle Involved in a Front End Impact with Tree."

Interestingly enough it looks like they used all Saab (GM) repair parts since every pannel/peice they replaced has GM logos on 'em... Minus that nut... LOL

Ouch on that Lynx Yellow Car! That had to be a bummer being the guy that bought it and finding that out after they bought it on ebay. I'd of been angry.

And on Carfax/Autocheck. My 9-5 (which has NEVER had paint work done) on the Autocheck report showed it being at a Service center having "body work performed", then on Carfax it said it was at a Saab Dealership (same dates/miles) having factory maintinence performed. I called the original owner and voila she had proof it was at a Saab dealership instead of a Body shop... Carfax/Autocheck aren't always right...
'99 Saab 9-3 Viggen 3-Dr
'84 Saab 900 Turbo 3-Dr

Last edited by Slow Joe; 05-08-2010 at 01:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.