Possible problem with rear brakes on 9-3ss. - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab New 9-3 03+ Forum > General New 9-3 Posts and Information

General New 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general information pertaining to the new 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2004, 03:27 PM   #1
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
Possible problem with rear brakes on 9-3ss.

I just want to warn everyone that a possible problem may surface with rear brake pads.

Another member attempted rear brake pad replacement on a friends car after dealer quoted them as needing $400 in parts. The car had only 15k miles on it.

edit sticky.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2005, 08:05 PM   #2
Avid TSL User

Send a message via AIM to saabchic
Similar problem to my parents brand new 9-3ss...cept theres only like 2k miles on the car when it happened. Dealer had to replace the rear brake pads
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-01-2005, 08:20 PM   #3
Avid TSL User

ha silly GM
Old 07-21-2006, 07:47 AM   #4
Avid TSL User

Send a message via AIM to 1sweet2.0
some cars jsut wear on pads faster than others...15k is a little low though
Old 07-21-2006, 07:55 AM   #5
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to mg_td
i've noticed on my mom's SS that the rear wheels get brake dusty FAST, is this related?

238.8 whp 272.1 wtq
Old 07-21-2006, 10:55 AM   #6
Elder

Send a message via AIM to WyldSaabMan
I wonder if the calipers are getting hung up
04 Yamaha YZF600R
00 Polaris XC700
99 Saab 9-3-RIP
98 900s N/A-RIP
Old 07-21-2006, 12:00 PM   #7
Elder

I know there is a bulletin I'll find it.
Old 07-22-2006, 08:31 AM   #8
Elder

Send a message via AIM to DeLorean
GM cars since the 80's have had problems with their rear disc brakes. the early 90's luminas / grand prix's with the rear disc brakes had 20,000 mile calipers. they never can seem to fix it...
Old 08-11-2006, 08:30 PM   #9
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLorean
GM cars since the 80's have had problems with their rear disc brakes. the early 90's luminas / grand prix's with the rear disc brakes had 20,000 mile calipers. they never can seem to fix it...
this has nothing to do with gm even though its gm originated car, the rear calipers, rotors and pads arent even used on anyother GM car.
Same brand that made calpers for older saabs and makes calipers and such for volvos, vws, pretty much anything euro

94\" 9000 Aero
3\" catless downpipe,Intake,3\" custom exhaust,H&R springs,Jak Stoll Stage 4 ECU,Clutch Net Carbon Ceramic Clutch plate, HKS EVC boost controller.
94\" Z28
383(9:1) afr heads,YSi,TH400,9"(it gets out of its own way ok )
Old 08-11-2006, 08:32 PM   #10
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1quick2.0t
this has nothing to do with gm even though its gm originated car, the rear calipers, rotors and pads arent even used on anyother GM car.
Same brand that made calpers for older saabs and makes calipers and such for volvos, vws, pretty much anything euro
ATE rears were used 94-02....dunno about the newer ones.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:48 PM   #11
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike saunders
ATE rears were used 94-02....dunno about the newer ones.
yeah same shit, i forgot the name but didnt want to make a fool out of myself i knew it was 3 letters and started with an a. Fronts are same brand too.
99-02vw jetta/golf wore out rear pads in 15-20k
i'll keep an eye on it since i just replaced jackies rears when she got it 10k miles ago sofar they still look new.

94\" 9000 Aero
3\" catless downpipe,Intake,3\" custom exhaust,H&R springs,Jak Stoll Stage 4 ECU,Clutch Net Carbon Ceramic Clutch plate, HKS EVC boost controller.
94\" Z28
Old 08-11-2006, 09:15 PM   #12
Elder

Send a message via AIM to DeLorean
ATE made the brakes for the 88-93 C-900's as well. from the looks of them, SATURNS use almost a nearly identical ATE caliper. another oddity if we are bringing up brakes is that the ABS system in the C-900 were manufactured as a joint venture between ford and GM. they did not want to pay Bosch to use their system, so they went right out and made their own. They could manufacture and sell it for cheaper, thus you will find it in many mid 80's to early 90's GM, Ford, and just about anyone else who wanted ABS, and didn't wait to pay more than double what they had to. look at the connectors to the ABS unit under the hood of any 90-93 US model C-900 and you will see ford logos on some, GM on others. for an early 3 channel system, the thing works great. vague and weird feeling pedal is pretty much the only issue.
Old 08-11-2006, 09:31 PM   #13
Avid TSL User

Cars you mentioned earlier didnt use ATE calipers, saturns arent that bad sometimes problimatic but not as bad as lets say 97-01 nissan maxima/i30 rear calipers, dont get me started on chrysler

94\" 9000 Aero
94\" Z28
Old 11-19-2006, 05:27 PM   #14
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to soggy
Some users have reported replacing pads on the 93ss as low as 11k miles. I had to replace mine at 30k. I upgraded to the EBC Green stuff pads and changed over to slotted and dimpled rotors as well, and it has made a world of a difference. You don't need to change rotors too, I just went overboard =X And yes the stock 93ss pads put off a LOT of brake dust, and on the 2006 models the brake distribution has been shifted to put more pressure on the back brakes than previous years. The EBCs are much better, if you change your pads, get them, and if you change your pads you might want to have the dealership do it. The back piston is a b**** to push/turn back in. I'm glad I had someone else do it.
Old 04-29-2007, 10:08 AM   #15
Elder

Garage
Being I see this day after day - here's some truth on what you're talking about.

On SS cars - most of the braking is done with the REAR for some reason. This is why the rear wheels get dusty REAL fast - and before the front wheels

Driving habbit depends on how often you will NEED rear Brakes.

Typically I've found that the cars will average 20-40,000 on rears and about 30 - 50,000 front

I start recomending Brakes at 5/32 (new rears are at 14/32)

They obviously NEED brakes when they reach 1/32 or less....

Front Pads come at about 16/32 FYI - thus lasting longer.

As for rotor life - rear vented on a SS 90% of the time cannot be cut due to being worn below the cut to spec...
Solid Rear Rotors however usually can be cut at least once.

Front Rotors - well - if they are able to cut you didn't need brakes yet... Fronts typically warp and wear below the cut to spec too much by time you actually NEED brakes so expect to replace pads and rotors in front every time you're due.

Saab made the brakes on these cars VERY responsive and great feeling - but at a cost.

I've done a set of rear brakes on a SS FYI at 13,000 miles about and they were almost metal to metal - the owner did a lot of city commuting...
Old 04-30-2007, 09:28 AM   #16
Elder

You need to fix this, chop chop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 07-10-2008, 06:03 AM   #17
SAABeginner

I've got 53000 on my ss and haven't done brakes yet. Don't need to for a little while. They still look good
Old 07-11-2008, 03:06 AM   #18
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to spgeebee88
i see that all the time generally if you do alot of city driving u get 25-35k out of the rear pads and rotors. i think its the way they proportion the brakes and over work the rear
Old 07-11-2008, 03:33 PM   #19
SAAB Road Master

I do about 50/50 city/highway driving and I did not have to replace any of my brakes until I hit around 55k. And as far as the rears getting dusty before the front, I have the opposite happen. A week after I wash my car the fronts are black and the rears just have a dusting on them. Its possible these issues are coming up because some people do not know how to properly wear in brakes.?
Old 07-11-2008, 04:05 PM   #20
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoXer01 View Post
I do about 50/50 city/highway driving and I did not have to replace any of my brakes until I hit around 55k. And as far as the rears getting dusty before the front, I have the opposite happen. A week after I wash my car the fronts are black and the rears just have a dusting on them. Its possible these issues are coming up because some people do not know how to properly wear in brakes.?

Possibly. Because I don't have this issue at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.