9-3 Convertable - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab New 9-3 '03+ Forum > General New 9-3 Posts and Information

General New 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general information pertaining to the new 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2017, 10:52 PM   #1
SAABeginner

9-3 Convertable

Hi All
I have never owned a SAAB but looking at the prices for a convertible, itís quite attractive in Australia for about 15yrs old cars. This is purely for weekend driving with 2 young kids to have a bit of fun. I have heard there are quite a few common issues with 9-3 early 2000s models.

Questions:

What are the common issues to avoid when buying?
How difficult to get parts?
Why are they lot cheaper than other convertibles?
If you are not mechanical minded (like me ) am I better off forgetting the SAAB idea?

Cheers, Dami
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2017, 03:07 AM   #2
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

I think the issues you have found are common issues in a Saab that has the trionic 7 Ecu. You can read all about those cars and their sludge problems. It affects all T7 cars including the 9-5. Mostly you want to make sure a car has good service history including frequent oil changes with full sun oil. You can have the oil pan dropped and checked for sludge for good measure, and also have the crankcase ventilation have the latest design revision (7).

Aside from that the tops are quite complex and impressive when they fold into the trunk. They also look super awesome when down (finished) because of the clamshell of the trunk. Make sure you operate the top fully auto without helping it. That is no garuntee of it being issue free but is a good start.

You can avoid the trionic 7 issues by getting a trionic 5 car, but the top is the same.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-10-2017, 12:23 AM   #3
SAABeginner

Thanks Tboy very useful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.