2000 Viggen Build - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab New 9-3 03+ Forum > General New 9-3 Posts and Information

General New 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general information pertaining to the new 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2017, 08:37 PM   #1
SAABeginner

2000 Viggen Build

Hi All

I am getting to a point with my 2000 9-3 4 door Viggen were a engine build may be most effective for the longevity of the car.

As it stands I am using really only bolt on performance parts.

I am aware how best to death this subject has been but I thought I would run what I've got, soon to have or should consider...

I am getting a reasonable mileage 1995 b234 9000 Block
Am planning on a rebuilt b235 Head from Maptun for 500hp capacity
T5 cams of course

The block and head I am planning to mate on a engine stand so that car Downtime will be cut to a minimum when it comes time to move everything in.

That said... things I have ready:

Spec stage 3 + clutch
The Vig transmission which doesn't seem worn to the build point yet.
B234 head gasket for the mating

What am I missing with the transfer of moving parts to the new block?

B234:
Water pump
AC pump...

Things of that nature I am unaware of what is needed?

The goal is a reliable 400hp with room to go further if some fun needs to be had.

I am also gathering things like a gt28 and manifold, injectors...

I am currently running a e85 conversion with 60lb injectors, 255lb Racetronix Fuel Pump, do88 front mount and larger aluminum charge pipe, 3" downpipe, ITG intake...

Just hoping to get some perspective on the build and prospective daily sleeper(it is to be done this summer)

Thanks
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2017, 05:03 AM   #2
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

You are not planning on rebuilding the short block? I'm not sure I would go as far as you are going and not have new bearings and rings in the short block. I would also be concerned about the balance shaft and timing components.

As for b234 vs b235, you will have to look very very close to identify the differences to the block. In my experience there are none that contribute to any reliability or HP differences. A few casting variations is all. The main difference in reliability and HP is the pistons. B234 pistons are not low friction pistons so the ring spacing is preferred and the piston height is taller. You can eliminate this problem with a set of forged pistons for the B235 though.

As for accessories, all of the accessories will swap (remember the blocks are nearly identical). I am not certain if you will have to utilize the b235 timing cover and oil pump or it you can use the b234 cover and oil pump. When I swapped a b234 into my 9-5, I was forced to use the b235 cover because of mounting provisions for accessories. I am not sure how that will pan out for the b234 in a 9-3.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-11-2017, 08:38 PM   #3
SAABeginner

Hi

Yep. The plan is to rebuild a 1995 9000 b234 short block.
I have read that the blocks infustruction is not any different but the pistons are a little more tough which is why many people choose to use the b234 block. The head gasket for a b234 block with stock height connecting rods and pistons milled 1.5mm?
I have weighed the options on prices for doing it myself and getting things the way I would like them and how a shop would do it and things seem to be more reasonable if I build the block and mate a built b235r head to the b234 block.

I will of course replace the piston rings to ensure longevity of the motor and clock back the 160k I have just turned on... before things get out of hand

Old 04-12-2017, 08:07 AM   #4
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elyk View Post
Hi

Yep. The plan is to rebuild a 1995 9000 b234 short block.
I have read that the blocks infustruction is not any different but the pistons are a little more tough which is why many people choose to use the b234 block. The head gasket for a b234 block with stock height connecting rods and pistons milled 1.5mm?
I have weighed the options on prices for doing it myself and getting things the way I would like them and how a shop would do it and things seem to be more reasonable if I build the block and mate a built b235r head to the b234 block.

I will of course replace the piston rings to ensure longevity of the motor and clock back the 160k I have just turned on... before things get out of hand
Having done this myself in a 9-5, I think if I were to do it again I would just use a B235 block and put forged pistons in. b234 pistons are an economical performance option, but not as reliable as forged pistons would be. In my case I needed a block as the one I replaced had a hole in it. I paid $350 for a used shortblock and pistons would have been only a couple hundred more.

Going forged also allows you to run a larger size (if you need to bore the block to remove defects).

BTW, I don't know what your comment about milling pistons is? You don't mill anything. If you want to run a b234 short block, just make sure you use the b234 head gasket. That is all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.