My LOW mileage 2009 9-3 SC welcome home - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab New 9-3 '03+ Forum > General New 9-3 Posts and Information

General New 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general information pertaining to the new 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2017, 05:33 PM   #1
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Jameson
My LOW mileage 2009 9-3 SC welcome home

Got home after putting 1000 miles on from Friday night to my doorstep this afternoon.

Love it.

EVERYTHING works. Every single button, bulb, feature. Never knew how good the cornering HID headlights were. No peeling buttons, COLD AC. One of the two keys, all buttons were worn smooth lol.

Only issue seems to be trans related. Under PART throttle at highway speeds, the trans bucks quite a bit. WOT from a dig during the test drive, no trans issues, or light throttle or MANUALLY shifting, all gears engage. But if you tip into it while in 3rd-5th by about 20%+ pedal pressure, yeah it bucks like a bronco. First time I thought it was a missfire, but it became clear it was the trans. I think its a fluid pressure issue, a solenoid or the fluid pump. No big deal. Even if I put a used transmission in for a grand I am still coming out way ahead. It makes sense the car being traded in. Miles aside, a smart Saab owner, original owner, doesn't trade in a car this clean with working AC and take $1000-1500 unless he caught the trans acting up and got SPOOKED by a dealer quote of a NEW trans.

This thing drives so smooth at 80 the whole suspension has to be recent. In person when playing the miles guessing game people started at 20-40k. It's that nice. So for something as nice as this turned out to be I have no qualms with this one repair.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2017, 03:17 AM   #2
Elder

Really nice find.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-06-2017, 05:17 AM   #3
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojohnny View Post
Really nice find.
Thanks.

My Saab mechanic thinks its actually the tq converter which sounds right based on how it feels.

He also asked, "are you going to leave this one alone, or you do your thing modifying it?"

I love how I have this reputation lol.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-06-2017, 05:47 AM   #4
Elder

I was honestly thinking it seems like a torque converter issue. But I don't have enough experience with auto transmissions to say anything.

You should probably leave this one alone.
Old 03-06-2017, 06:29 AM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Cark
Sounds like a lemon... you should probably pass this one along. I'd be happy to take this nightmare off your hands
Old 03-06-2017, 07:34 AM   #6
Elder

Turns out the trans is fine!

All 4 coil packs were fucked. It bucked so hard that it felt like a trans issue and lack of CEL threw me off.

Yeah, light load it felt like a miss at first and I thought I needed plugs. Maybe at first it was 1-2 coils. But when it got so severe and no CEL I talked myself out of plugs and thought it had to be the trans.

I'll have coils and plugs installed when the engine cools down a bit. I also bought a good used seat back for the driver and a rear seat lower cushion.

Old 03-10-2017, 08:57 AM   #7
Elder

Car is so nice it's replacing the '08 6mt. My father admits at 80yrs old, driving stick is starting to hurt and he fell in love with the '09. So its going to be his tool around town car.

The '08 has been sold to my bestie Tim/Miata Power.

So I have tracked down nice two tone Aero seats for blue. Going to put a remote start, maybe a tune in it.

Old 03-10-2017, 09:27 AM   #8
Elder

My wife's current 2006 had the same transmission issue. Eventually it started throwing a TCC Mechanical Lock Up Fault code. I bought a used low mileage trans for $200 with a broken torque converter (salvage yard stored it badly and sheared of the stub shaft somehow) and bought a rebuilt one for $300 - so $500 for the trans and I put it in and it's been good since.
for your repair needs
Old 03-10-2017, 11:25 AM   #9
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnsSide42 View Post
My wife's current 2006 had the same transmission issue. Eventually it started throwing a TCC Mechanical Lock Up Fault code. I bought a used low mileage trans for $200 with a broken torque converter (salvage yard stored it badly and sheared of the stub shaft somehow) and bought a rebuilt one for $300 - so $500 for the trans and I put it in and it's been good since.
I didn't have a transmission issue

I did look into it and a low mile trans would be about a grand installed. Good to know for the future.

Old 03-20-2017, 11:19 AM   #10
Elder

Made a cheap intake.

The IAT sensor was key, a trip to the table saw and I took what I needed from the stock intake box.

Sound is nice, less obnoxious than the BSR I had on our '11. I just need a bracket from Home Depot to locate everything and keep it from moving.

Old 03-20-2017, 11:28 AM   #11
Elder

speechless
Old 03-20-2017, 11:32 AM   #12
Elder

Quote:
speechless

for your repair needs
Old 03-20-2017, 12:05 PM   #13
Elder

Quote:
speechless
Not sure how to take that lol.

Old 03-21-2017, 02:50 AM   #14
Elder

lol
For someone of your stature in the automotive community, I find it difficult to believe that you sleep soundly at night knowing that you used a universal flex hose to make an intake.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:05 AM   #15
Elder

Quote:
lol
For someone of your stature in the automotive community, I find it difficult to believe that you sleep soundly at night knowing that you used a universal flex hose to make an intake.
1) Its an actual intake pipe, granted universal fit. It's the same brand as the filter and coupler. It is not dryer vent and is smooth on the inside and not ribbed. Advance has a section of the isle with all the parts to craft your own intake.

2) Would I do this on my other car? No. This is a $2500 car. Why would I spent $200 on an intake that doesn't do anything better. All I wanted was a bit of sound and needed to replace the dirty stock panel filter. This cost about the same as a panel K&N.

I'm happy with it I slept great last night.

Old 03-21-2017, 06:17 AM   #16
Elder

As long as you're happy with it. I was just surprised to see that Mr. "buffet of talent" didn't just leave the stock intake box.

I've got a lot of respect for you Jameson, it's just not something I would have expected to see.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:36 AM   #17
Elder

Quote:
As long as you're happy with it. I was just surprised to see that Mr. "buffet of talent" didn't just leave the stock intake box.

I've got a lot of respect for you Jameson, it's just not something I would have expected to see.
I didn't want to leave it alone. Even my wife commented it needed an intake as she is used to hearing the turbo on most of our Saabs. Even HER '11 had a BSR intake inside of a week.

At the same time, I am doing this car on the cheap. The sound wasn't worth $200. It's actually pretty well setup with the IAT being utilized in the stock cut pipe and it drives well. It might also be my imagination but it seems to pull smoother-less corked from 5-6500.

The things I do to this car is not done with the same time, funding or intentions of any of my other cars. That's half the fun.

Old 03-21-2017, 11:56 AM   #18
Elder

I'm not very good at treating a Beater like a Beater lol.

De-badged.

Hit some scuffs, rubs and scratches with the Porter Cable and did some chip touchup. 240k miles lol.

Old 03-22-2017, 02:49 AM   #19
Elder

Pretty
Old 03-28-2017, 02:28 PM   #20
Elder

Before and after

I put 1800 miles on the car driving to VA to pick up the seats which were a steal. I spent the weekend in NC with family to make the drive more worth it.

Blue did the miles like a champ. The rotors began to pulse a little bit so I had the excuse to upgrade to Aero stuff. So far its the rears that are toast. I am going from non vented 278mm to 292 and vented with beefier calipers and OEM dustshields. I will do the same for the fronts and do 314mm Aero rotors when the time comes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.