"Remove Shift Boot Cover" ? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab Classic 900 Forum > General Classic 900 Posts and Information

General Classic 900 Posts and Information Please post general information pertaining to the Classic 900.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2006, 03:25 PM   #1
GA
Elder

Send a message via Yahoo to GA
"Remove Shift Boot Cover" ?

The shift lever in both of my c900 T verts spin around, and both of them seem to work best when the numbers on the shift knob are upside down.

I want to get into the shift console and adjust the gear shifts so (a) they don't spin or twist around; and (b) so that the numbers on the shift knob are the right side up.

So I go to my trusty Haynes manual, and the first instruction for getting into the area is "remove shift boot cover"

The problem is I don't know how to do that, and it isn't obvious from looking at it. The shift boot cover looks pretty well attached to both the knob at the top, and the console at the bottom.

I actually forcefully pulled the shift boot cover off the white convertible, and did some damage in the process, so I'll be looking to fix it on that one.

Some helpful suggestions would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2006, 03:34 PM   #2
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to friggin viggen
i dont know the similarities but mine just pulls up, squeeze into the middle and pull, theres usually tabs around the edge.

Stärka = NVIGR8 = To impart vigor, strength, or vitality to
6/3/06 - 224whp/285wtq
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2006, 03:46 PM   #3
GA
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by friggin viggen
i dont know the similarities but mine just pulls up, squeeze into the middle and pull, theres usually tabs around the edge.
What, and then push down the tabs? Does the shift boot cover come out with just the material, or is there a square metal frame that comes out with it?
Old 07-10-2006, 08:09 PM   #4
JK
Elder

are the boots leather or rubber? Either way, just stretch them at the base and get one corner off of the little tabs that hold them on. It should be a 30 second deal...the leather ones can be difficult though.
Old 07-11-2006, 04:21 AM   #5
GA
Elder

they're leather. When I pull up on the boot I don't see any tabs. When they're stretched out, do I take a puttyknife and pry up a corner?

This might be one of those things I have to watch in order to get it right
Old 07-11-2006, 04:43 AM   #6
JK
Elder

the leather is tougher. I could show you in about 2 min if you have time, I have a very busy week, but like I said, it only takes a minute or two And I wouldn't want you to risk tearing the nice leather boot
Old 07-23-2006, 08:59 PM   #7
SAABeginner

Send a message via AIM to bykakid
if its a rubber one just pull off and the leather one is the same only harder. o and my shifter does the same thing. but thats my fault.
Old 07-23-2006, 09:04 PM   #8
User
Elder

Garage
Send a message via AIM to zingZACH
The reason for the shifter spinning is the actual shift rod assembly.... there is a little plastic ball assembly that tends to wear out. There is a guide piece and a little knob on the ball.... the knob wears out and causes the rod to spin in the guide... my SPG did this as well.... It has happened on 2 of my c900's.... just find another shift rod or order the plastic ball.... its the upper ball.

and to remove the knob you just put it in 4th, or reverse or second (i like 4th though) and pull up.... it slides off.... and then just work the leather..... try treating it with some conditioner first to get the leather pliable... they often dry up and make it very difficult to work with.

There will then be 3 screws holding the shift rod in... be sure to put it in neutral before removing the rod.... then pull straight up and there ya go.

Last edited by zingZACH; 07-23-2006 at 09:07 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.