Vintage Saab Tire Sizes/Tire Info Needed - Page 2 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab Vintage Forum > General 92, 93, 95, 96 & Sonett Posts and Information

General 92, 93, 95, 96 & Sonett Posts and Information Please post general and technical information pertaining to the Saab 92,93,95,96 & Sonett.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2012, 03:18 AM   #21
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardhatz View Post
Use of Sonett rims on your 96 will give more clearance. The extra width is all on the outside, so it displaces the tire about 1/4" outboard. I have early steel Sonett rims on my 67 96. (If anybody has any more they want to get rid of, I'd like..)

On a Sonett, you can raise the fender lip quite stealthily. I raised mine 1 1/2 inch, and you probably wouldn't notice unless it was parked beside a stocker.
The problem is a a small one and not worth the effort of tring to fix. you just have to raise the rear higher to get the wheels off. Plus the wheels I think you are talking about are not as wide which will make my 185 side walls really squissy and not an option. I'll sorry I miss lead you but they due rub in the front on full lock. I never noticed this before because I'm so rarely at lock. But the wider 185's on the wide soccer balls do make the car handle and ride better. The real stock size for the 96 was 145 15's not 155's but try finding those sizes. If you like to drive I would say your best bet is a 175 or a185 which are easily found now that the new mini has brought back the 175.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Plasticfoodwrap SE Pennsylvania Saab Club
Cars
72 Sonnet
72 96
90 miata

Last edited by plasticfoodwrap; 03-30-2012 at 03:20 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2012, 07:48 AM   #22
SAABeginner

Ahh Shoot! I am the one who was not clear.
The rubbing I was talking about on the Sonett is on the front. The fender lip is low, and if you hit a bump while turned sharply it hits, even with the 155s.
The Sonett steelies are 4 1/2" wide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasticfoodwrap View Post
The problem is a a small one and not worth the effort of tring to fix. you just have to raise the rear higher to get the wheels off. Plus the wheels I think you are talking about are not as wide which will make my 185 side walls really squissy and not an option. I'll sorry I miss lead you but they due rub in the front on full lock.....
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-30-2012, 07:57 AM   #23
SAABeginner

Here is the fender after raising the lip, with a shot showing the slice removed.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f3...z/DSCN0065.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f3...z/P1010016.jpg

Old 08-13-2016, 06:02 AM   #24
SAABeginner

I have 2 5-bolt rims, no center caps. Located in East Hampton, CT.

Last edited by DMorgano; 08-13-2016 at 06:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.