Hemmings blog on '86 9000. BurnSide may want to chime in - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9000 Forum > General 9000 Posts and Information

General 9000 Posts and Information Please post general information pertaining to the Saab 9000.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2011, 06:47 AM   #1
Elder

Hemmings blog on '86 9000. BurnSide may want to chime in

Class of ’86- Saab 9000 Turbo at Hemmings Blog: Classic and collectible cars and parts

2000 Viggen 'vert
1998 9000 CSE Turbo
1994 9000 Aero
1993 9000 CSE Turbo

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2011, 07:44 AM   #2
Elder

Garage
10-4 - I'll make a nice write up and post it there today! lol It's going to be a long winded one.

EDIT:
I submited my post - see if they allow it. I had to leave a lot out to make it not tooo long lol I could have just kept going easily.

Quote:
At the age of 17 I bought my very first car with my own money. It was a 1987 9000 Turbo 5 speed which I bought from a nice family in Bridgewater, NJ for the sum of $400 as result of a winning bid on eBay. It had 264,000 miles on it at the time and it turned out to have a bad alternator when we got there to check it out and bring home. This was not something we expected, so we had to make a return trip with a good used alternator and learn how to change it in the soon to be previous owner’s driveway. After a few hours of toying with it, we (my good friend Jeff and I) had it back together and running.
The main reason by the way, a side from the mileage for the super low price was that the right rear shock tower was so badly rotted that we drove it home with the shock hitting the rear speaker. I learned how to fix cars practically by owning that car - and it started my love and passion for these quirky yet addictive cars. This car drove me on and off through my senior year in high school. I fixed it as it went when I had money, and I made my money by selling used car parts on eBay from parts Jeff and I would get from pick-a-parts all around our area.
My friend Jeff, who still does this as his job is the very same whom owns and started EPartsLand.com formerly Parts Land on eBay. You may recall the term “crazed” which I often believe he coined off first as a description for many of the tail lights or head lights he’s sold.
He and I were both new to the Saab world at this time. I drove that 87' 9000 through my daily commute post high school to the Automotive Training Center in Exton, PA from Jenkintown every day for 20 months. I racked it up to 314,000 miles in that short time and it had its faults - but with that sort of mileage you really couldn't complain. Jeff helped me do a head gasket in one night on that car once so I wouldn’t miss class the following day at school – I learned about broken exhaust studs that night. I had turbo replacement down pat too – I could change one in about 30 minutes on that car, as I put 3 used turbos’ on it while I had it – about a $100 total investment there.
Many trips and friends took part in that car in the time I had it, and I’ll never forget it or those. I met my wife when I had that car – she was my girlfriend then. Many of my friends still recall that car and wonder what became of it. The truth was rust, and I needed a car with fewer miles and could provide the same means it did, which is where my current 1995 9000 CS came into play. It’s by no means stock these days – but runs like a raped ape.
Years have past and I could not stop remembering that old 87’ 9000 – so I began a search online for a first year 1986 US 9000. Thanks to many of my friends on Saablink.net and a post on Saab Central this past year I managed to get my hands on a 2 owner 1986 Edwardian Grey 9000 Turbo with just shy of 168,000 miles. This car was as clean and rust free as a 24 year old Saab could get! The asking price was $300 and it didn’t move as it needed a clutch and a slave cylinder. The following weekend my father and I went over to pick it up with my 95’ 9000 and a car dolly. After a few hours struggling to get it loaded we managed to and pulled it home without any problems.
Since then I have repaired the clutch, but still needs to repair a questionable master cylinder and start bringing the car up to concurs shape, as it’s not far off from it as it sits. I love how it drives, feels, and looks. I just love these 9000’s so much.
Since buying the 86’ it has been to the Albany Saab Fall Festival in 2010, Saab’s @ Carlisle (also called the Import & Kit Car Show) and the MG Car Club Eurocar in Cazenovia, NY this past father’s day. The car drive’s like a dream and can still keep up with traffic and then some. It’s also nice to be able to average 26 mpg’s with spirited driving mixed in on premium fuel.
Saab’s are a life, and a passion to me – I’m a returning Saab Technician in less than a week to General Sales Saab of West Chester. I previously worked for Fred Beans Saab. My fleet currently consists of seven cars – five of them are Saab’s ranging from 1971 through 2001. I think I just completed my first step of twelve by writing this.
That's what I wrote anyway.

Last edited by BurnsSide42; 07-01-2011 at 08:25 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-05-2011, 07:30 PM   #3
SAAB Road Master

Geeee ! there's HUGE interest in an '86 Saab 9000 .. have you even seen one in the last 5! years? ..I definitely haven't . At least 2 people are lined up to read this long obsolete drivel
Old 07-06-2011, 02:35 AM   #4
Elder

Garage
I've seen a few in this past year alone, plus I own an early US market 86' 9000 myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.