Saab Link Forums banner

1992 9000

11K views 71 replies 8 participants last post by  Troup 
#1 ·
So, I bought myself another c9000 in February of last year. I got it for a song out of Charlotte, NC. It has a stack of service records and the original window sticker. All cool and all, but the car is somewhat of a disaster as of now. I haven't done a thing to it since I bought it. It's been sitting at friends shop while I've been in school/ working on more immediate projects.

It's in LHM mode due to faulty TCS, has a bad exhaust gasket, and has a push-button starter-- totally ghetto. Interior is shot, needs some body work here and there... but, no rust.

The plan is to T5 it.

I think my best plan of attack is to buy an aero that's rusted, and transplant the guts...

Aero interior, B234R, and matching 5-speed transmission.

I will likely start working on this soon once I get the right donor car since my other projects are on the road somewhat reliably.

Here are some pics of it from the day I went and picked it up.

Here is the car that started the love affair with Saabs, 9000's, and Classic 9000's

I'm trying to relive the glory days. ;)

See less See more
#5 ·
Let's do it whenever you're ready

I've considered holding this project off for a black one, like my first one. But I got this one at such a steal and it's at the point where it needs a good bit to be saved.

One at a time I suppose.

#3 · (Edited)
Nice! Glad to see you've got yourself another classic. While I don't have a ton left, let me know if you need any 1991-1992 specific stuff. I have some things sitting around.

#6 ·
Nice! I hope to have it all updated to the newer generation hardware as much as I can feasibly swap over.

Have you ever had problems with the ABS unit in your 9000?

That was one of my concerns about doing all of this work. I hate the master cylinder CF that these have.

#4 ·
That looks like a good find. I'll be watching this one for updates. I had a Platana 92 9000S for my first car (and first 3 transmissions). I've always wanted to find a 91 turbo in the same color.

#7 ·

Drove this down from Chicago a couple of weeks ago. It's a great car, but rust has consumed fenders, windshield, rear shock towers, etc. I'm sacrificing this one for the good of the classic 9000. More updates soon.

#8 ·

Headliner basically fell out with a little persuasion.

Cooling fan relays are missing. Apparently this fused jumper wire was a solution to the PO. (Fans still don't work)

Shiesty wiring under the ABS pump fuse box.

Started removing dash

#10 ·
I drove the car about 30 miles to my house from the shop I've been keeping it at. The ABS and brakefluid lights are on, stiff pedal. I've had these fail before, so Im going to attempt to swap over the brake system from the 94 as well. The wiring in the 92 is questionable and hacked up in different places and since I have an entire running parts car, I think it might be worth my while to swap the entire body harness.

#11 ·
Do it! And while you're at it, swap over all T5 specific parts and do a TCS delete. Mike D said its pretty easy. I had Jordan at eEuroparts do my 1995 9000 Aero and its works perfectly.

#12 ·
I talked to Mike D the other day for the first time, super nice guy. As far as T5ing this car, It seems like it's pretty easy. But given the brake master cylinder problem and having a parts car at my disposal, I'm basically going to make this car a 1994 Aero with the exception of the body. Uncharted territory as far as I can tell.

#13 ·
With a complete 1994 Aero as a donor car this should be tedious but hopefully fairly straightforward. When removing brake lines and brake pump/booster elements, take your time. Use lots of PB Blaster, tapping, PB, tapping, PB to loosen the connections...I BROKE 2 OF MINE like a ham-fisted moron.

One thing you might find is that your 1992 TCS pump has 4 brake line outlets (2 front, 2 rear) wheres non-TCS 94 pump has only 3 (2 front, 1 rear). In which case, you'd need to couple the rear brake lines into 1 and connect. This may not be the case for you, but it was for me with my 1995.

Killer combo; the best of both 9000's. Good luck!

#15 ·
Thanks for the advice, I definitely will do that. Good to know that the pumps are a little bit different. I haven't been able to find much info on them. I would never attempt this if I didn't have a fully functional donor car.

#16 ·
Some updates:

In July, I pulled the motor from the 92 and sold it to make room for the 94 Aero drivetrain. Since then, I've been slowly picking away at the interior and removing the wiring harness from the 92. I have it completely stripped and have started to carefully disassemble the 94. Now that school is out for the holidays, hopefully I should have some time to commit to it.

#21 · (Edited)
I wouldn't say it's moving along, hahah. Slowly but surely

Hope you swap over the 19t and all the other goodies
You know it's going on over. Who put the 19t on it? Curious to see how it stacks up to the white Aero.

Great work! This will be super nice when you get it done!
That looks like a lot of work! Good luck with your build.
Thanks guys!! Yeah, it's a lot of work. Definitely will be worth it in the end though. Labor of love.

#24 ·
I have the wiring harness from the 94 "in" the gray 9000. Not in any installed fashion.

I also have the Mark II brake booster from the 94 installed in the 92 now. My original plan was to salvage all matching brake lines from the 94, but they are all rusted and I had to damage alot of the fittings to get them loose.

At this point, I'd rather run all new lines.

Does anyone have any suggestions for material, cost, etc?

If anyone knows the specs of the fittings, that'd be helpful also.

#26 ·
The TD04 is going to need a rebuild, which kind of surprises me.

Only things left to pull from the green aero are the intercooler, sunroof, and Maptun lowering springs ;)

Still would love some technical info on the brake lines if anyone has any.

#27 ·
Probably better to leave the 92's brake lines in place and fabricate an adapter to the newer non-TCS brake pump. On TCS 9000s, the pump has 4 outlets, because each brake is individually controlled from the pump. On non-TCS 9000s, the pump has only 3 outlets, because the rear brakes share a line from the pump and split somewhere further back.

I dont have any specs I'm afraid. Jordan Pagano at eEuro fabricated an adapter and the non-TCS brake system works flawlessly. Not sure what else will have to be swapped to make this work...might have to use a 1993 ABS ECU to be compatible with the rest of your 1992 engine management system...someone else should confirm this though. I mention this because, when installing a TCS defeat switch on a 1992 9000 you need an ABS ecu from either a 1993 9000 CSE Turbo or a 1993 9000 Aero.

Of course if you're performing a T5 swap/TCS delete at the same time, you probably wont have to worry about compatibility. Again, there are far more knowledgeable people on this subject; maybe they will chime in here.

#28 ·
Probably better to leave the 92's brake lines in place and fabricate an adapter to the newer non-TCS brake pump. On TCS 9000s, the pump has 4 outlets, because each brake is individually controlled from the pump. On non-TCS 9000s, the pump has only 3 outlets, because the rear brakes share a line from the pump and split somewhere further back.

I dont have any specs I'm afraid. Jordan Pagano at eEuro fabricated an adapter and the non-TCS brake system works flawlessly. Not sure what else will have to be swapped to make this work...might have to use a 1993 ABS ECU to be compatible with the rest of your 1992 engine management system...someone else should confirm this though. I mention this because, when installing a TCS defeat switch on a 1992 9000 you need an ABS ecu from either a 1993 9000 CSE Turbo or a 1993 9000 Aero.

Of course if you're performing a T5 swap/TCS delete at the same time, you probably wont have to worry about compatibility. Again, there are far more knowledgeable people on this subject; maybe they will chime in here.
I like this idea.

This is a 92, and it definitely had TCS. But I only have one brake line running to the back that splits. if it had 4, that'd be ideal, because that's how the Mark II booster is set up.

ABS was non - functional on the donor car, so that's a whole other issue Ill have to address. I'm pretty certain that the brake wiring and computer is all separate from the main ECU and harness. so, ill keep the 94 Aero ABS and figure out what was causing the malfunction.

#29 ·
A buddy and I did a rebuild on the 19t. It has a billet compressor wheel!

I had the lines for the turbo and wastegate sandblasted. I'm going to have them powdercoated when I decide on a color.

I had the green car junked -- sad day. Pretty much got every usable bit possible. It's riding on lumber springs in the rear. ;)

I got the Maptun lowering springs swapped in the front. I did not do the rears yet. It already rides pretty low in the rear. Gave her a much needed bath.

#31 ·
Thanks !!! I've slowed down since I dumped the green aero and started school back.

Ill do my best to get back at it this weekend.

#32 · (Edited)
I made some progress this weekend, reinstalled dash from the green 9000 and HVAC ducting, electronics, etc.

Also shampooed the carpet and installed the rear seats.

The swap is going mostly well, only issues are the are the connectors for the rear door electronics and the fuel pump. However, the wire colors are the same, so it'll be an easy fix.

Sam fell asleep in the carpets.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.