Saab Link Forums banner

Aero minimum rotor thickness question.

4K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Sev7n007 
#1 ·
The fiancé picked-up a 2003 9-5 Aero Sportcombi in LB. No joke it looks like it could be that color!

Anyway...

Her rear brake pads are due to be done like ASAP down to 10-15% left on there and winter is coming up. I cannot seem to find the recommended rear rotor minimum thickness. Anyone have that?

Also, I doubt it the rear brakes do much work...but anyone think the roughly $40 jump to the GS sport slotted rotors for the rear rotors are worth it?

#2 ·
Usually a shop that turns them can tell you and measure them. I'd suggest buying replacements anyway, it's not that much more. I personally would not upgrade to slotted on my wifes car unless it was for appearance. My 2 cents is to save the money and not buy slotted, but replace them completely.

Anyway, my WIS for 1999 9-5 ( i think the 2003 rears will be different) says they were 10mm new, and 8.5 mm minimum permissible thickness after grinding. That should give you an idea at least.

#3 · (Edited)
I know that a shop can normally tell you that. I plan on doing the brake job myself. I do have a micrometer and I planned on taking a few measurements. I just couldn't find record of a minimum thickness indicator.

I am glad to hear that you are thinking the rear brakes wouldn't benefit much from the slotted rotors. I think I will just order them via my local parts store as they are $1 more for the part then GS but w/o having to pay shipping costs.

Thanks for the info/opinions.

Anyone else have input? Actual minimum thickness info for Aero rear rotors? Opinions on slotted vs. not...

#4 ·
Slotted will not make any difference other than looks, not any difference that would ever be perceived on that car.

By the way, the color is cosmic blue. Very nice color. I passed on an Aero wagon in that color once...:-(

#6 ·
I have some pretty cheap 300mm rear 9-5 Aero rotors on my 900. Those are some big brakes and I am sure they help.

You don't have to spend an arm and a leg replacing them. I think $80 or so got me the pair. Centric is the manufacturer, and they have been great.

#8 ·
I got the specifications stright from the "wis"

minimun thickness for standard vehicle is - 8.0mm (0,32 inches)
heavy car - 18.mm (0,71 inches)

maximun grinding dept standard vehicle is - 0.8mm (0,032 inches)
heavy - 0.8mm (0,032 inches)

minimun permissible thickness after grinding standard vehicle is - 8.5mm (0,33inches)
heavy vehicle - 18.5mm (0,73 inches)

thickness (new) standard vehicle - 10mm (0,39 inches)
heavy vehicle - 20mm (0,79 inches)

there is more involving diameter and runout tolerances but i think you don't need that. If you do please hit me back up on here and i will be glad to post.
take care have fun with the wifey's great find. welcome to the saab life.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.