Saab Link Forums banner

9-5 V6 Griffin

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Donno's 
#1 ·
#3 · (Edited)
That's considered low mileage in the US. As said previously, documentation of required maintenance and accident history is a must. There are recommended services at about 100Km and 150Km that nicely (and expensively) replace items that are usually OK, but may fail before the next service interval. Most Saab enthusiasts agree that an oil change with good synthetics (filter also) should be done at 8Km and not any extended interval that Saab recommends. I owned an '01 SE wagon with that engine and the automatic trans. It was a good car and treated me well.
I think my Km->Mi conversion math was close (.62xKm/1.6xMi). Is that an average price down there? Kinda wondering what the current rate of exchange is with the US dollar.

Update: just checked- that's $8675 USD for $9990 AUD, if I'm not mistaken. The asking price is about twice what it would be "up here". Your dollar's exchange rate with the USD has increased 20% in the last 6 months. Hmmm, if you could find a RHD in the US, ship it, and pay an import tax- nah, forget it.
Make sure it's a good one! Good Luck!

#4 ·
Cheers for both opinions but I am seeking models specific info, ie: the headlights and electrical gremlins prevelant with 9000's timing and balancing issues that are specific with Saabs all good. I have had a 900 and drive a 9000 next step I suppose is a 9-5 or a 9-3

#5 · (Edited)
Well as I touched on in my first post, the biggest thing with the V6 9-5 is the timing belt, after that, it is usually water pumps and those pricey V6 low pressure turbo/cast iron front pipe combos to look out for.

The 9-5s don't really have electrical issues like the 9k which was a joint Alfa/Lancia/Saab design with scarey Italian electricals.

Someone else feel free to chime in with more V6/9-5isms that I may have missed.

#7 ·
Well as I touched on in my first post, the biggest thing with the V6 9-5 is the timing belt, after that, it is usually water pumps and those pricey V6 low pressure turbo/cast iron front pipe combos to look out for.

The 9-5s don't really have electrical issues like the 9k which was a joint Alfa/Lancia/Saab design with scarey Italian electricals.

Someone else feel free to chime in with more V6/9-5isms that I may have missed.
Thank you for your input !! Yes the gremlins in the 9k are a weird and wonderful lot after much searching it was the factory alarm that was the issue in mine.

#6 ·
There aren't any real horror stories on the 9-5, other than sludge -- and sludge is a four cylinder only issue.

As mentioned above, turbo replacement on the V-6 is expensive given how it's integrated into the manifold. That, and the timing belt, are the issues to watch for.

Looks good to me.

#8 ·
There aren't any real horror stories on the 9-5, other than sludge -- and sludge is a four cylinder only issue.

As mentioned above, turbo replacement on the V-6 is expensive given how it's integrated into the manifold. That, and the timing belt, are the issues to watch for.

Looks good to me.
Many thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.