Saab Link Forums banner

Thinking of picking up this 9-5

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  trollmeister 
#1 ·
I am looking to get a 9-5 for my girlfriend. I am gong to pick it up for 1500 bucks it is a 2000 5 speed white with tan leather interior. It needs a heater valve acording to the person I am buying it from witch is I think part#5048830 the coolant bypas control valve. It also needs a throtlebody but it was cleaned and now is workig alright. I work at a shop and part out these cars so I get the parts to fix it for realy cheap. It will probibly end up causting me $200.00 for the parts. Do you think it is worth it?

#2 ·
Does she want one? You don't seem to mind doing the repair and maintenance for the car, but you will be the one to blame if she doesn't like it. I mean, of course she'll like it, but what if it doesn't start when she needs to go somewhere? Or strands her on the side of a highway? It'll be your gift that did that.

Or are you asking whether it's worth it to spend $1700+ (and you know it'll be more) on your girlfriend?

#4 · (Edited)
I would be replacing the trotlebody and the coolant bypas control valve so there should be no reason for it to strand her on the side of the road. I could also send in the core throtle body to bba and have it remanufactured for a sellable one. There is no other problems with the car the lady just cant aford to keep up on the matenance, her price on the valve is $400 pluss labor to install and her price on the TB is $430 pluss labor. At $100 an hour things can get pretty expensive to install. I can have all the parts to fix the car for $200 and my labor is free for me. I am curious if it is a good deal or not. My girlfriend really wants a 9-5 and I think it will be a good car for her. The body is in good shape no rust or large dents or scratches. minor scratched here and there but nothing major.

#5 ·
To replace the thottle body and bypass valve, it isn't that hard to do, the vavlve is about 30 mins lil project, depending how hot the engine is, and the throttle body is 3 10mm bolts, 3 coolant lines, 1 vacuum line, and 2 electrical connectors, you could probally do it yourself if you really wanted to.

#8 ·
I am also looking for another 9-5. Currently own a 2000 SportCombi and it is worth much more than the cost you are considering. I am expecting to pay $5k for the next car that I pickup. I say go for it and enjoy it !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.