Saab Link Forums banner

On-Star Removal; Can It Be Done?

13K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  studionyc 
#1 ·
Ok - I service a few 2001 9-5's a one 2002 9-3 - all three have the defunct On-Star.

The 9-3 has had the campaign update to basically unplug the system to prevent the "TELEPHONE" message on SID.

In the 9-5's we have had no issues since the towers were turned off, and they never intended to buy the service anyways. My question here is - in the trunk on the RHS where the receiver and brain is located for this system - can they be unplugged and removed physically to allow that compartment to be used rather than wasted?

Has anyone attempted this yet? Does TECH 2 need to deprogram it at all? I've never done this when I worked at the dealer so I don't know for myself, but I'm guessing there shouldn't be a need for any of it being in the car anymore, or a need to use a TECH 2 (which I have access to if needed).

Thanks

#4 ·
You might be able to replace the audio input from the Onstar to the headunit with Bluetooth -- did that on my GTO.

#9 ·
You DO NOT need to remove the pins from the ACM cable. You're unplugging them at the ONSTAR box which makes dicking around with the ACM redundant. If you're airbag is deployed what's it going to do? Send a signal down the wiring harness to... nothing because the ONSTAR is gone?

#10 ·
Nah, sharkfin wouldn't work for sat radio. However the hole where the sharkfin is might be usable for the replacement sat radio antenna.

Agreed with SaabDriver on the Onstar/ACM cable. Just pull the connector, rip out the Onstar module and be done with it.

On the headunit side, there is probably (don't know for sure, as I've not tackled it yet, but likely so. Don't flame me if I'm totally wrong here...) a "telephone" input port which is where the current OnStar phone function would go, and the Bluetooth would go to replace it.

This is how it is on the Goat. However, much more simplified as there was no OnStar in it to begin with. Never came with OS.

Point being, many, but certainly not all, factory and aftermarke radio headunits now have a telephone port.

Good luck and enjoy!

#11 ·
ONSTAR DELETE On 2001 9-3 CONVERTIBLE

After 3 years with no working radio problem finally solved.
Getting radio out was a pain (used a mirror, bracket was holding it securely in place, impossible to see), bought remanufactured unit (just in case), used my Tech2 to marry unit, had to repair SID(too many bad pixels), then all I could see was 'TELEPHONE'.....no sound.
Decided to remove OnStar in trunk. Unplugged two connectors, sound on, everything working as should. Antenna is powering up, steering wheel controls, the works. Removed all components by loosening three nuts, bye-bye Onstar.
Very Cool. Who needs a convertible sans radio?
Forums definitely pointed me in the right direction.

Oh, one last thing: no need to mess around with wire in front. No error messages or such.
All I did was remove unit from trunk.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.