Saab Link Forums banner

B235 to B234 Swap Questions

8K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  SOAB 
#1 ·
I am going to use a new block for my 2000 9-5 and was looking into the 9k swap.

I need to know what years 9K engines should I get, what all needs to swap from the bottom end. ie can it be done complete?

I had heard you need to use the 235 Pan, do I use the 234 crank? Can my forged pistons from my 235 fit? ( Wossners)

#2 ·
you can use the entire assy, you need to change your pan like you said and bolt on your hardware, you also need to move the oil pressure sensor to the other slot by the starter, you have to pop the metal part out of it for the 235 dipstick tube to work, and the alignment dowel for the oil pan out so your pan will fit, you need to use a t5 head gasket, your t7 head and t5 headbolts, ohh yea 94-98 9000, I dont know about the pistons im someone here does though

#4 · (Edited)
b235 to b234 block swap

I just am finnished with this project... I have extensive install pictures if you are interested... just use your timing cover and your oil pan and your f35 trans and everythingbolts right up to a 1994-1998 b234...

I talked to nick at GS about this and from what I understood from him is that if you use the b234 pistons you HAVE to use a b234 headgasket...otherwise you will have piston clearance issues.

If you use forged b235 pistons you will use the b235 head gasket...you might have to speak to him to make sure...using the forged b235 pistons and gasket is the preferred method though from what i remember him telling me in june/july when i started

I did not have $ for the b235 forged pistons so I went with the b234 pistons and Gasket 4k mile deep so far and all is well

Any Questions Just message me...

Good Luck and After you are all done and she purrs like a pussy cat gettin some lovin you are tired and dirty but feel oh so goood!!!

I took my engine out from the top you will hear different side to this argument...

#5 ·
b235 to b234 block swap

I just am finnished with this project... I have extensive install pictures if you are interested... just use your timing cover and your oil pan and your f35 trans and everythingbolts right up to a 1994-1998 b234...

I talked to nick at GS about this and from what I understood from him is that if you use the b234 pistons you HAVE to use a b234 headgasket...otherwise you will have piston clearance issues.

If you use forged b235 pistons you will use the b235 head gasket...you might have to speak to him to make sure.

I did not have $ for the b235 forged pistons so I went with the b234 pistons and Gasket 4k mile deep so far and all is well

Any Questions Just message me...

Good Luck and After you are all done and she purrs like a pussy cat gettin some lovin you are tired and dirty but feel oh so goood!!!

I took my engine out from the top you will hear different side to this argument...

#6 ·
can you change from auto to manuel with this swap using the 9k tranny? My junkyard has like 10 9k's and a bunch have manuel trannies. I really would like to do the swap and I wanna know how much of a pain the swap really is? Sry I know its a bit off topic.

#8 ·
can you change from auto to manual with this swap using the 9k tranny? My junkyard has like 10 9k's and a bunch have manual trannies. I really would like to do the swap and I wanna know how much of a pain the swap really is? Sorry I know its a bit off topic.
Where are your junkyards? The '94-'98 5 spd tranny is getting very hard to find.

#10 ·
Ok Bought the block it looks like most of what wpressly said is correct. A few questions I have though if anyone can help.

Timing Chain Which to use, 234 or 5. Since I will be swapping over the timing cover I am thinking all tensioners from a 235 ( checked and the parts are the same numbers)

We measured and it looks like you can't use the 235 pistons without swapping in the 235 rods which seem strong enough, but I am not so worried about the pistons if we can get away wiht stock ones that came wiht the block, hopefully we don;t need to bore the block...

I will post here the porgress and everything that needs to be done here. It woudl be nice to have all the information in one place

#13 ·
Ok just to summarize and get a better grasp on this, I just bought an 01 Aero with a blown engine and have a B234 Block from a '98 9K CSE. Am I correct in understanding that to do this swap I am going to use the whole bottom end of the B234 and mate it too the B235 Cylinder head and timing cover and oil pan. Also from what I read I will use the B234 Cylinder head gasket and B234 head bolts or can I use the B235 head bolts? Also Timing chains are the same between B234 and B235?

Thanks, Chip

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.