Saab Link Forums banner

New Saab Purchase!

6K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  christian900se 
#1 ·
Well, I went ahead and bought the 2000 Saab 9-5 Aero.

So far, it has been a FANTASTIC vehicle. 5 speed with 143k miles and aftermarket rims. Heated front and back seats and ventilated fronts too. Wood trim everywhere, black on back. The only issues I found were two small parts of rust on the drivers side rear fender, a tiny spot if rust on the hood, minor dings on the hood, exhaust leak in the flex pipe (fixed), and it has a minor idle issue with the A/C on. Basically, with the A/C on, when I clutch and pop it in neutral, it will dip really low and stutter a little bit. It will eventually recover, but it just seems to idle a little too low. I don't think it is supposed to do that. My vacuum lines look a little brittle, so I am going to replace those tomorrow I think. See if that helps. Here are some much desired pics of my car. The other 9-5 is my friend's. He loves his too.

Here is the interior of my friend's Saab.

See less See more
#4 ·
Yeah, I wasn't sure either, but they are growing on me. That's what everyone around me has been saying too. I think they go well with the car.

Question: What color are the Stock 9-5 Aero shock colors? I looked under my car and mine are yellow, so I didnt know if they were stock, or if someone put aftermarket ones on.

#5 ·
Great looking ride...now get some tints, try to ditch the wood trimmed steering wheel for an all black leather steering wheel and the shift knob looks weird wood trimmed as well, I'd go for black leather as well...just my two cents...

Regarding your idle issue when your a/c is on...let me know if replacing hoses fixes it cuz I have the same issue at times....I have a 1999 9-5

#6 ·
Great looking ride...now get some tints, try to ditch the wood trimmed steering wheel for an all black leather steering wheel and the shift knob looks weird wood trimmed as well, I'd go for black leather as well...just my two cents...
Hey now, I like my wood trimmed steering wheel! =] I do agree that the wood trimmed shift knob should be traded out for a leather one though. I didn't know you could switch out the knobs. Does anyone know of any good 9-5 procedure sites? I know that for my 9000, there were many I could go to, but I don't know of any 9000 sites.

Regarding the tints, I am wanting to do this too. I am going to try and get a note from my eye doctor (family friend) so I can put 5% all the way around. I think it would look sick =]

#7 ·
Nice car. Rims look killer in my opinion. Also, keep the wood, it looks great! Besides doing a little touch up on that rust, I say it doesn't need to change much at all. Only thing I would add is a rear bridge spoiler. Nice acquisition.

#9 ·
Oh yeah. I wasn't sure if it was or not, but I like it. It takes corners really well and rides nice. I am liking it.

As far as I can tell, the only things I even want to do to the car are get tint, get the bridge spoiler, and fix the rust. Where could I get the bridge spoiler? It will probably be later on, but I will want to take it somewhere to get it done.

I replaced two of the vacuum hoses (didnt purchase enough) and it helped the idle a bit. It still sticks a little low when the AC on, but it has helped out.

One thing I have noticed is that when I have my wipers on intermittent mode, they don't finish their sweeps. They will randomly stop in the middle, after half a sweep, or just above the bottom. On any of the other speeds it will do fine, but on intermittent mode or when I use the pressure washers, they just stop randomly. I was thinking of the relay. Does only have one for relatively cheap they would sell me? Unless you guys think it's something else.

#12 ·
The shocks being yellow leads me to believe you have Bilsteins on there, I have them on mine as well, and it does corner well for what it is. With the wiper issue, i did the same thing as eco9, i had them on intermittent one day and they finally did full sweeps, it was the wierdest thing. They still work fine too, and its been a year since they "fixed" themselves.

#13 ·
Thanks guys! I'll give that a shot and see if it corrects itself. I really hope it does =]

I am taking it in tomorrow to get a recharge, and then I have an appointment for the Dealership on Friday for them to do an oil change and check it over, make sure everything is okay. So far so good as far as driving goes. I am loving it already.

#15 ·
Would you happen to have a picture of said car with the spoiler? I would like to see how it looks.

I just took it to muffler man today and had them recharge my A/C. They told me there was a leak in the system, but didn't know where. They filled it and put a dye in it so if and where it leaks, it will show up. We'll see what happens next. I am enjoying the much colder air it pumps out. I am not enjoying the low idle that accompanies it though. I replaced two of the vacuum hoses, one to the Dump valve and a smaller one, and it seemed to help a little bit, but I ran out of hose so I have to go back and get more and put it in.

My check engine light also came back on today. I thought fixing the hole in the exhaust would stop it from coming on, but I guess not. When I go in to the dealership on Friday, I'll have them look that over along with the rough idle if I can't fix it with vacuum lines. I want this car in tip top shape.

BTW, this car is FAST! I love it.

#18 ·
Took the car to the dealership this morning to have it looked at and have an oil change done. I asked them about the CEL and one of them pulled out the OBDII reader and told me it was running rich. He didnt know why because he didnt have the TECHII and the lead tech wasn't there. Apparently there was only a lower level tech available. They looked it over and said it was in great condition. The only thing they suggested was to get my fluids flushed, but I will save that for another day.

On a side note, I went to NAPA and ordered 4 new NGK Iridium plugs for the car. I just want to make sure that the right plugs are in there and gaped right. Maybe it will clear up the CEL, but who knows. Any suggestions?

#20 ·
Awesome car! I think the 9-5s are nicer and better all around than the 9-3s by far, and I love the wood accented dash (which seems rare these days). Im not sure if Im a fan of the spoiler but the wheels suit the car very well. Nice buy!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.