Saab Link Forums banner

Lost my only key

4K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  Smaart Aas Saabr 
#1 ·
I've had my '01 Aero for 1.5 months. It's summer in rural ct (amazing) and i lost my ONLY key two days ago. fml

#4 ·
I know of 3 people who have these cars, bought them with one key and ignored my strong advice to get 1-2 spared before they it gets FUBAR'd by losing the one key...

One of them got it fixed with a hefty bill and a used whatever unit needs to be replaced...and he still has only one key.

Good reminder for everyone to keep a spare!

#14 ·
to had my 9k key copied it cost 50$ or so. for a 9-5, if its the key without the fob attached to it, id say it would be around that same price for just the key. maybe a lil more due to the chip in it. if you have the key where its attached to the fob unit (as in one unit key and remote) then that will cost i think around 160$ maybe?

#16 ·
Depending on where you are a single key can be in the 220 range. At a local Saab dealership, the pricing was as follows:

Using the Description name:
TransmitAntiTf = $134
KeyHDTransponder = $39
Key See VIN for... = $44

Then there is a charge for the labor of reprograming, which will be about an half an hour or slightly less. This was for an '06 9-5.

For the whole unit if the second key were to be lost, it was something like $1,100 for the two keys and the in car unit, plus labor, which I didn't get a quote on. Once I heard 1,100 I ran over to the dealership to get a second key made immediately.

#15 ·
Kalbers, the issue is you need one key to reprogram the TWICE unit. If you have zero keys you can't just have one made and expect it to do anything.

TWICE has to be changed (or apparently possibly reprogrammed?) in order for the car to start.

#19 ·
I would call the local Saab parts counter and ask them. I ordered a key for a 9000 and they shipped a key based on the VIN. They may not need the blank, depends on the dealers capability. Potential of some type of programming fee, if it has the fob.

QUOTE=9000Andrew;652086]I only have a single key for my 2003 9-5 Aero also. I'd really like to get a spare made, but what's the process and how costly is it? Just get a blank and have the dealer cut it by using the VIN?[/QUOTE]

#23 ·
I would call the local Saab parts counter and ask them. I ordered a key for a 9000 and they shipped a key based on the VIN. They may not need the blank, depends on the dealers capability. Potential of some type of programming fee, if it has the fob.
The 9-3 / 9-5 of this type (AFAIK) have a RFID-type chip in the key. This makes the key expensive, but also, the RFID is random and needs to be married to the car's computer. Only 4 keys can be married at one time. This is why the key head is fat and ugly.

The VIN is only for grinding the key, it will spin a lock but not start the car, and probably trigger an alarm if the car doors are opened with it (assuming no fob remote)

#21 ·
I have 3 keys for my 99 9-5 but one is damaged

I think I damaged the chip by dropping something on the key. The key still turns in the ignition/doors etc. ( this is the older style key without any buttons.
Is is possible to reprogram a new chip to key if you have two spares ( I though there was something different about that with two keys). Hoping to do it without a tech 2 dealer/indy visit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.