Saab Link Forums banner

Got the 9-5 Wagon - Started Work On It

2K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  BurnsSide42 
#1 · (Edited)
First I had to rid the wasps nests - found 3 of them, about 10 per nest. 2 Cans of brakekleen later - all dead.

Next - remove the remaining mouse nests - done
Still need to Lysol

Removed Blower motor and cleaned debris from fins - was off ballanced causing the famous vibration of the dash. All Fixed

Started to disassemble for head gasket replacement - will continue tomorrow

More REAL pictures;
http://picasaweb.google.com/BurnsSide42/BrittanyS200195Wagon#

After HG repair and Heater Control Valve - bumper trim, dummy shark fin, and good wash and detail follows.

17" Rims in plans

Update Intake pipe to Air Box Planned

Window Tinting Wanted

Need to locate Rubber floor mats and trunk mat

Need Roof Cross Bars

EPL Stage 2 ECU Tune for LPT

Locate Full Set Of Aero Springs for Wagon

Get Bilstien HD's for rear and Install OEM Front Aero Struts.

See less See more
#2 ·
LOL. I went to rotate my tires today and got destroyed by a wasp nest that is in the steel construction box where I keep my tools. It took SEVERAL Carlsberg Elephants to alleviate the pain of getting hammered by Mother Nature. The wagon looks great but needs new wheels.

#6 ·
lol - I'm actually contracting myself out as one who aids in finding a good deal on a Saab right now for a friend/customer. Getting Food/Car Details and Future work out of deal so far. Plus I get to drive places in another persons Saab with a/c and see various conditions of "great condition." Amazing how much that phrase varies....

#10 ·
I just got your p/m about that the dash panel and I'm still waiting for the shifter surround. Parts is fubar right now and in fact Saab suspended parts returns so we're basically left to stock only basic parts.

#12 ·
Update Intake pipe to Air Box Planned
Is this really worth it as compared to doing a cone air intake? Would you go with this "stock" mod in order to improve performance but not make the turbo louder?

Locate Full Set Of Aero Springs for Wagon

Get Bilstien HD's for rear and Install OEM Front Aero Struts.
Some sort of secret recipe for the perfect cheap suspension? Is it specific to a wagon? I've heard the bilstiens are pretty good.

Oh, forgot to mention, congrats! Looks like a nice wagon!

#14 ·
wow... pretty good deal!

I thought mine was a steal @ 3500...
either way... have fun!

Bilsteins in the rear makes sense to me! Just be sure to get wagon springs, and not sedan.

one of the best improvements for these is the rear wing.
there's a guy on ebay selling them for $150, shipped.
had I not gotten the deal on mine, I'd have been all over the ebay dude.

#15 ·
Well - we drove it out to IOWA in one shot - 1100 miles - no problems. Needs an alignment and a rotate (and a State Inspection) Nice cold a/c the whole time. Averaged 29mpg going out and about 26-27 coming home (higher speeds and two days coming home) A/C on entire time. Nice car!

As for blower motor - it just had leaves in it as they usually do - no reballancing ever needed. Just pull out the crap which doesn't belong there.

Cone filters = stupid IMHO. They are poorly placed to begin with, why make it even more of a submarine? Just increase the air flow to the factory box and install a drop in K&N filter. The factory inlet pipes are very different if you ever see them side by side - almost doubles in size in 2005. Increases turbo spool up and more air flow = good.

Suspension wise - I have a set of front Aero Wagon struts with 60K on them - no springs. I am a huge fan of bilstien hd's due to having them all around on my 9K. Being this is a wagon anyways - more durable rear shocks are always a plus. As for spring - a stock Aero Wagon set would be all we ever need - as they are a bit more stiffer, not much lower (being PA has wonderful roads lower = bad idea) and will ballance out some slight handling faults of a wagon without going overboard....meaning larger sway bars should not be needed for the purpose of this vehicle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.