Reference Oil Pressure? Are mine good?

4K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  v8power 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi,

i´m driving an 9-5 AERO Year 1999/2000.

160 000km.

Now i have installed an Oil Pressure Gauge and get theese pressures:

FILLED OIL: MOBIL1 0w40

SENSOR IS MOUNTED AT THE OIL FILTER (Sandwich Plate)

COLD AT IDLE: 70-85 PSI

HOT AT IDLE: 14,5 PSI

HOT AT 2000 RPM: 29 PSI

Now i´m thinking if this are god or bad pressures?

Do someone from you know the original Reference pressures wich Saab have written?

I was thinking about to spend the money for check the oil pan, but if my pressures are good, the pick up should be clean or not?

Best Regards

See less See more
#4 ·
the rule of thumb is 10psi per 1000 RPM. my understanding is that over 10psi is good at idle (oil pressure warning light comes on at 7psi IIRC)

so, from my understanding, your PSI levels are right where they need to be. i'm sure someone else will chime in

#6 ·
I believe the specs are for a temperature of 221 deg F.

2000 rpm, 32-36 psi
idle, 11-14 psi

I should note that my '00 9-5 Aero has 12 psi at idle, at 220 deg., and 30 at 2000 rpm, also using Mobil 1 0w-40

Your numbers are OK, even if they are not quite up to spec, IMHO.

#7 ·
A little higher would be better. I know in the owners manual of the b2x4 series cars it says to run a 15w-50/20w-50 weight when in climates over 60 F outside. I doubt you'd see any complications of the sort running the higher viscosity which would also give you better pressure as it is more capable of holding its own as the oil cooler experiences diminished cooling capacity with the higher temps outside.

#8 ·
I’ve heard the oil filter sandwich plate isnt the most accurate place to take pressure readings.
The ‘correct’ location to install is where the oil pressure switch is, on the block near the starter.
Its harder to install the sender but not too bad. You’d need about $30 to $40 of AN adaptors and hose.
If done right you can still keep the stock oil switch too.

WIS says 36.25 psi at 2000 rpm.
It doesn’t list any values for idle oil pressure.
I get 18 to 20 psi warm idle.

#9 ·
Thanks again for the answeers.:D:D:D:D

I know in the owners manual of the b2x4 series cars it says to run a 15w-50/20w-50 weight when in climates over 60 F outside.
What is a b2x4 ?:confused:

WIS says 36.25 psi at 2000 rpm.
It doesn't list any values for idle oil pressure.
I get 18 to 20 psi warm idle.
And you are not afraid about that?

I think i´m going to my lkal Dealer to change my Transmission Oil, then i will let him messure the pressure with the original gauge.

Perhaps mine is not so exact.

#11 ·
Interesting.

I would like to test an 5w50 Oil, but i cant find a Fully Synth here in Germany.

And all the people talk about that Mobil1 ......thats why i´m using it.

I would prefer to use a cheaper thicker fully Oil, and change it all 5000miles.:wink:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.