Saab Link Forums banner

2.3T engine interchange

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Dudethe9-5isfast 
#1 ·
ok guys, patient is a 99 9-5, needs a motor, i happen to have in the storage building a 2.3 engine from a 91 9000T, any chance of an interchange? if not what will go in there?

Perry

#3 ·
Are you sure - I thought the 90-93 tall block was different

At the very least, Cam timing will be off based on the taller deck height for the 90-93 9000 engine.

94-98 9000 B234 short block exc head, electrics & oil pan will be a straight swap ( & highly desirable from a performance standpoint)

#6 ·
DUDE Perry. I'm pretty sure that one of the b234's from a 9k at RTS is good. I'll ask Steve in the morning for a price and call you.

This wasn't the same T7 car needing a throttle body was it? Hope to see you at the shop tomorrow at some point.

#7 ·
early 9k motors will be no good for the later t5 motors

to start, they do not have the proper CPS

secondly, i know they have a different trans spline count, and different bell houseing patterns

thirdly, the head will bolt on via the main ten bolts, but the two bolts that are on the far edge near the timing chain are in a different spot. not having these bolts in can cause premature HG failure.

im sure there are other things that will not work too.

However 94+ 9000 bottom ends will work 100% ok,,,, so keep your eyes peeled

#11 ·
That is interesting about the head bolts being in different places

I wonder if the head bolt locations are close enough for an offset head bolt to go in at an angle. ( T7 head & 90-93 block)
The reason is I am interested ( in the medium term) building a stroker 9-5 engine. I know the crank can be offset ground but the stock 9-5 pistons wrist pins are too close to the crown to take any thing higher. I have not very serious doodled with the idea of using the " tall block" 90-93. The crank position sensor and clutch splines could be easily fixed using B235 crank parts. I am interested in the 90-93 block as it has at least an extra 80 thou of deck height so allowing a longer stroke using an offset crank. Does anyone know how many of the tranny mounting bolts would not line up using a 9-5 manual tranny.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.