Saab Link Forums banner

Considering a 9-5

2K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  01amberfirewv 
#1 ·
I am trying to decide between a 9-5 and a G35 Sedan. The Saab seems like it would be more practical and the G more fun so I am on the fence. I think I can get a new Saab for the money (15k) but the G's reliability records seem to be really good. The only criteria for these cars would be it will have to be a manual transmission. Can you give me any input to help me choose? There are no Saabs or G's in my area so this will kind of be a blind buy

#2 ·
The 9-5's are pretty reliable, for a European car. They have some weak points, but can be dealt with relatively easily. The big issue is sludge, so a record of regular oil changes is something to look for in a used 9-5. The other issues (crank position sensor, ignition cassette, rear shocks) are easy enough.

Aero models are worth the price premium over non-Aero's, IMHO. Pre-'06, they use the TD04 turbo, which is more reliable than the GT17 in the other models.

#3 ·
Aero models are worth the price premium over non-Aero's, IMHO. Pre-'06, they use the TD04 turbo, which is more reliable than the GT17 in the other models.
How about the 06 and 07 models? One of the advantages of getting a Saab is being able to get a newer model for the same price as I would pay for an 05 G35.

Also I have read about over boost and even watched the top gear clip where Jeremy Clarkson drove the 9-5 and said that it is quicker from 40-70 (or somewhere in that neighborhood) than a 911 turbo. Are the newer models as fast? The biggest (or only) down fall of the 9-5 for me is that its fwd which takes away from some of the fun. The good highway acceleration would definitely help in the fun factor category.

#6 ·
GS is pretty much spot on. They are excellent highway cars. Round town, and lower speed cornering are meh. But out on the open road, a 260 HP 9-5 will go along quite well. my 1999 9-5 with 170K miles on it has been relatively trouble free, however there is a list of "little 9-5 things" that can and will go wrong when the car reaches it's normal 1/2 life (say between 80-120K), but once they are fixed you are good to go again. Nothing that will cost you more than a single new car payment, even fixed at the dealer... They are excellent cars, some of the best when you base statistics on "longevity" and not "reliability" which are 2 different things. If you are keeping it for a while you want the one with better longevity, not reliability.

#8 ·
They are excellent highway cars. Round town, and lower speed cornering are meh.
I am sure the steering leaves something to be desired, thats a normal for a front wheel drive but is there anything else about the handling that makes it meh? Is it too soft? Can it be corrected with better tires? I do spend a good bit of time on the back roads and there are loads of twisties here in WV.

#9 ·
I have 2002 Aero with upgraded Koni shocks/Eibach springs and it improved the handling greatly. Aero suspension is soft enough to be extremely comfortable on long drives, but has considerably less body roll than the standard suspension. Stock LPT suspension is soft, indirect and just downright scary anywhere near 'the limit' IMO(though I have only driven an LPT twice).

Still, the car is a large FWD Sedan. With all the suspension mods in the world you aren't going to be extremely impressed with the handling.

It is well capable enough to have a lot of fun on the backroads, though.

#11 ·
Does the 9-5 run on 87?

Also give me an idea on the size and handling of the car. We had an 02 A4, and a 06 Jetta TDI which has been replaced by a 06 Ford Freestyle. Can anyone tell me how it compares in size and driving dynamics to any of the above vehicles? Thanks again for all the help, I wish I could just go out and test drive one but there aren't any in my area.

#12 ·
Does the 9-5 run on 87?

Also give me an idea on the size and handling of the car. We had an 02 A4, and a 06 Jetta TDI which has been replaced by a 06 Ford Freestyle. Can anyone tell me how it compares in size and driving dynamics to any of the above vehicles? Thanks again for all the help, I wish I could just go out and test drive one but there aren't any in my area.
I don't own a 9-5 but have driven several. I think the Passat is closer in size.

Also, if the 9-5 is anything like my '01 9-3, it will run on 87 but lose a noticeable amount of, urm, "pep."

I guess the one thing I've seen in your posts that worries me a bit is the lack of Saabs in the area. I left Saab-rich New England about seven months ago for Cleveland (don't ask) and have yet to find an indy garage that I'm really, really happy with. I really enjoy driving the cars, but it can be a bit of a bitch to get parts/find good repair shops once you get away from some of the regional strongholds.

Erica.

#17 ·
How did the two compare in power? I know the G35 has more power but what about highway acceleration where apparently Saabs shine? I would also consider a 2005 9-3 Aero but from what I have read I would like the 2.3L in the 9-5 better. One of the things I like the most about Saabs is their exclusivity which is due in part to not having a dealer around. G35s are also somewhat rare in my area with no Infiniti dealers around but I have a feeling they will start catching on. I have seen on or two on the road with horrid huge wheels and ricer fart can style exhausts. Modified Saabs always seem more tasteful

#18 ·
I think in hiway accel they are comparable, the G35 engine winds nice but it does not have the slam you in teh seat power the Saab has( from time to time I car pool with a frined who has one and she let's me drive it )

Both nice, main differences you talked about is FWD/Vs rwd/4WD manual 6spd ( rwd only) and teh G35 feels realy cramped to me, tight but a nice layout.

#24 ·
I'm still going back and forth but someone has told me that Saabs are service nightmares. I do have the luxury of having simply Saab close by but for the most part I would be doing all of the services my self. Is there any reason why I could preform basic, routine maintenance myself? I kind of think cars get bad reps and those reps stick with the cars (at least on the net) and figure that's where the service nightmare phrase came from.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.