Saab Link Forums banner

oil drain plug washer

5K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Jeff_Wolf 
#1 ·
does the rubber washer on the plug need to be changed each time of an oil change? or is it ok to reuse it a couple times? is using a pump to syphon the oil out from the dipstick hole work better? yes i know this is sort of a repetitive post

#2 ·
95's Have a Copper washer that your Supposed to replace with every Drain and fill, Replace as you see fit. The Rubber washers came on Sports sedans and yes your supposed to replace it to with each drain and Fill. But again Reusing it once or even Twice hasn't seemed to be a problem. I Don't use them more than that, But Its your car Do as you see fit.

#3 ·
Edit* Beaten! ^
Rubber washer? I've only ever seen copper washers on drain plugs, and yes you should replace them...I've used them twice in a pinch.

I would just drain it...pumping the oil out isn't any better IMO. Jack up the front of the car a hair if you are worried about not getting it all out.

#4 ·
agreed. The washer is what, 70 cents? I replace the copper each time, they do tend to look compressed after the first use. I just buy them like 10 at a time and pick up a case of Saab filters from Eeuroparts, that way I get a discount on filters and have enough for oil changes for a while :cool: It's great that both 9-5's and the c900 take the same filters!

#11 ·
OTOH, I have never replaced a drain plug washer, ever...and I have not had any problems.

I suppose I could try swapping them...
X2 Mine is the OEM washer.

#13 ·
I have the pump for Draining oil too, Its a Pain in the ass unless your working on a Boat! It also doesn't drain thre Gunk out of the bottom of the pan. I don't recommend it. The Washers expensive from saab, I buy them And the last time I looked at the price it was like 2 pushing 3 bucks, A total Rip! But I use New ones on customer Cars For Liability Issues.

#15 ·
Umm, I pick up my oil filters from my local Saab dealer and in the oil filter box is a replacement washer for the drain plug. I think I pay 8-12 bucks a filter. I replace it everytime.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.