Saab Link Forums banner

bought one

3K views 24 replies 20 participants last post by  jssaab 
#1 ·
119929 miles, runs good and is in good condition. new tires, di cassette and is pretty clean. interior is good as well. no rust. 5spd man.

See less See more
#8 ·
9-5 is about as good as it gets for the newer Saabs in my opinion. You should really enjoy it!

Be diligent about oil changes, make sure your MAF is not old and running you lean and you should be good for quite a while!

#12 ·
one question... why the 99'? for some reason i hate that year.... it was the bastard child of the 9-5's. had nothing in it, left over parts from other models, and weak on style/power. i know, i know you guys are gonna come down on me and say thats its a great starting point/platform. but why not drop for a 00' Aero? you can get em for a damn good price nowadays!

Casey

#16 ·
quick question. which oil do you guys use? i looked online a little and 0w/40 mobil super syn is said to be recommened. other than that does anyone recommend any different oil? also, i just want to make sure, is it ok that you do not replace the oil drain plug washer each oil change? just reuse it fine? im just makin sure.

#17 ·
I had been using Amsoil Eurospec 5w40 in my '00 Aero, but I switched to Mobil1 0w40 for the winter.

It could just be that I'm staring at my oil pressure gauge too hard, but I'm getting slightly better pressure with the Mobil1. The real test is when the oil thins out in the summer heat, of course.

#19 ·
I disagree that the 99 9-5 is a bad car from using left over parts

The 99 has the stronger 9000 engine block ( not pistons or rods).

If you want a 9-5 engine to make 400+ hp you need the 99 & early 2000 B234 shortblock or do a lot of work getting a 94-98 B234 block to mate up to the 9-5 Head / oil pan electrics etc.

#22 ·
Interesting, so it's a B234 casting with B235 innards/accessories. However, the main weakness in the high HP T7 cars is the rods and pistons anyway, not the block itself. I have an '00 Aero, and while it's a great car, I'd never tune it to the extent I've done to my '99 9-3 (B204 T5).

#23 ·
Yes the pistons are the limiting factor for moderate high HP

Assumimg good mixture / AMM etc the stock 9-5 pistons ( any year including aero is only good for 315 hp before the crown of the piston starts to deflect causing expansion of the diameter then piston failure at the pin etc.
However I was talking beyond that levels. A stock B234 engine is good for about 450 HP assuming good head gasket. A 99- Mid 2000 9-5 is good for the same with the addition of forged pistions. Only when you go beyond that do you need to change the rods. Later 9-5 blocks would likely have stress failures at the big end caps from lack of ribbing.

#25 ·
Assumimg good mixture / AMM etc the stock 9-5 pistons ( any year including aero is only good for 315 hp before the crown of the piston starts to deflect causing expansion of the diameter then piston failure at the pin etc.
However I was talking beyond that levels. A stock B234 engine is good for about 450 HP assuming good head gasket. A 99- Mid 2000 9-5 is good for the same with the addition of forged pistions. Only when you go beyond that do you need to change the rods. Later 9-5 blocks would likely have stress failures at the big end caps from lack of ribbing.
You can use 99 caps on newer engines. There is some some ribbing in the block but there has been smoe discussion regarding whether it is worht the weight ( or does anything at all)

There are plenty of later model 9-5 ad vigs around with 600 HP around an no block faliure that I have heard of.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.