Saab Link Forums banner

9-5 2002 through 2006

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Dudethe9-5isfast 
#1 ·
Just curious about the good/bad/evils with these years. I'm looking for a second driver (third car) and this is one of the main vehicle we're looking for. Most likely an ARC or Aero Sedan... Any info is great.

Just so you know we have a '04 9-3 Arc 'Vert, so we're use to little qwirks with that one...

#4 ·
I own an '02 Aero, I think they really worked the bugs out 02+. Look for service records, the 4-cyl engines are prone to sludging if the oil wasn't changed frequently. Also be aware that you should have the car updated to the latest PCV update to prevent future sludging (~$150 if you take it to a shop, $50 for parts if you do it yourself... it's not hard). The Aero model is worth it ;), you get better seats, better suspension, more powerful turbo.

I would shy away from the 3.0L V6 only because it has a timing belt that has to be changed periodically (every 60,000mi IIRC). I owned a V6 NG900 and it was kind of a pain in the butt to shell out $600-900 every couple of years.

I've had my Aero for 60,000mi, and so far, no major issues to speak of! I'm totally happy with the car!

#5 ·
Drove my 1999 9-5 SE from 150,599 miles to just over 230k before selling it last March. Still on the road. Minor shit went wrong like the water pump and the fuel pump got a little noisy. Problably less than $2000 spent on repairs in 4 years of ownership.

Just sold a 2003 9-5 Aero with 174k on it, no problems at all.

#6 ·
Ok so what I get out of this is that the 3.0L V6 has to have the timing belt replaced every 60(ish)k, and the I4 has sludge problems... But those are the two big things?

I found a '03 Arc Sedan with a V6, but since I put about 40-50k/year on I think I'll stay away from that one since I don't feel like spending the money almost every year to get the timing belt replaced (or spending the time to do it myself)...

#7 ·
Ok so what I get out of this is that the 3.0L V6 has to have the timing belt replaced every 60(ish)k, and the I4 has sludge problems... But those are the two big things?

I found a '03 Arc Sedan with a V6, but since I put about 40-50k/year on I think I'll stay away from that one since I don't feel like spending the money almost every year to get the timing belt replaced (or spending the time to do it myself)...
Sounds like a good plan (to stay away from the v6).

The sludge isn't as big of a deal as everyone thinks it is. If you're really worried you can easily take off the valve cover and check for sludging, and if there's any sign of sludge, drop the oil pan and check to see if the oil pickup screen is getting clogged and clean it out.

#8 ·
Interestingly enough I'm going to look at a 1999 9-5 tomorrow. I'm uncertian if it's a V6 or I4, nor am I certian of the mileage. I know the CEL is on, however the price is right...

I'll make the assumption that it'd have similar issues as the 02-06 cars...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.