Saab Link Forums banner

2001 black leather "aroma"

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Red DIC 
#1 ·
So Carl tells me that when he used to sell Saabs, that the 2001 9-5 with black leather supposedly has a certain smell to it. Something to do with off-gassing of adhesives or something.

Scott told me the same thing about 9000 aeros (although his story was something about cows that eat fish or some weird thing).

Anyone else experienced this?

My wagon is one such car, and sometimes I wondered if my cabin filter (which is new) is dirty (which is can't be).

I think I might just have the Saab "aroma".

Anyone?

#2 ·
your not the only one.... as i work for a saab dealer i can atest to the aroma... it is the leather and has nothing to do with color... my g/f's aero smells a lot like crayons which i have found to be the same for the rest in the 99-03 year range.... after that the smell no longer seems to be present. perhaps change in leather or adhesives....

Casey

#9 ·
I actually heard that it was from the toddlers that they let design and build their cars, their parents still haven't taught them to pick up their toys. So once in a while a crayon or two gets stuck between the cushion and leather in the seat, and under the carpeting, you know how it goes. When they grow up, it doesn't get any better. They just begin to leave their wrenches under the hood, and socket extensions in the cabin air fan.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.