Saab Link Forums banner

Looking at 1999 9-5 this weekend.

1K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Dudethe9-5isfast 
#1 · (Edited)
My fiance has recently become interested in the Saab 9-5. I, being a 9000 guy figure that they are probably somewhat similar, but I have a few questions.

The car she we are looking at is a 1999 9-5 with a 2.3 turbo and automagic (only b/c she doesn't want a stick). It has 123k mi and is supposedly in "mint condition". They are asking $2950

What should we look for in a 9-5? And is this a good price or indicative of a problem?

Any rusty areas or problem spots that should throw red flags?

I am pretty mechanically inclined and I have had 2 9000s and 1 c900 along with a dozen or so other cars, so I can pretty much tell a good car from a bad one, but what, specifically on a 9-5, should I watch for?

Any help is greatly appriceated, thanks.:cool:

#2 ·
Pcv, make sure it has the newest version on the vehicle and that the hoses are not soft and brittle.
Turbo, wipe on the bottom side of the intake manifold for oil. If there is a good film back there the turbo has been leaking.
Timing chain/ Balance chain, on start up its usually pretty noisy.
Sludge, pull oil pan down to check for sludge. Not to easy if you are just lookin at the car for a couple minutes.
Other than that they are pretty solid mechanically.

The other thing to look at is the ACC. Start the car and hit the auto button and off button at the same time and see if any codes come up on the ACC display. If non show up it will just show a 0 on the screen.

#4 ·
There are already a bunch of threads that cover this pretty well... but why not.

Biggest thing is the sludge issue. Make sure the car has all its service records, and that oil changes were done on time and only with quality synthetic oil. It can never hurt to pull the valve cover and take a quick peek, but checking the pan/pickup screen is a very good idea... especially on a higher mileage MY99.

You also want to see if it has the latest PCV Update (#6). You can tell by looking at the oil filler neck. It should have a molded plastic nipple coming from one side of the neck. If there is no nipple, its probably the original PCV system which is a red flag. If the nipple appears to have been threaded into the neck, its an updated system but not the latest and you should definitely do the update.

There is a DI recall which may or may not affect MY99's, I can't recall. Definitely worth looking into.

At 120k, you are about ready for your second replacement MAF. I don't know if this is part of the 120k service or not, but I would look into it.

CPS are known to fail, but are easily and cheaply replaced.

ABS sensors have some problems once you get up there in mileage.

ACC has a 'blend door shaft' issue that pops up and can be kind of nasty.

As for rust... I'm not aware of any problem spots but I live in CA so its not an issue.

I'm sure others will pop in to help, but thats all I have for now.

#5 ·
Thanks for the quick responce, Diplo, I like your wagon, but she wants a sedan. I will definitely be checking out the things mentioned and hopefully this one will work out and if not we will keep looking.

Thanks!

#8 ·
If you run anything lower it can knock during boosting, I would just use premium. Even in my 85 SPG she gets nothing but 91 octane. My moms old 84is aspirated and even with 87 sometimes it knocks pulling up hills and stuff.

#11 ·
Only rust I have seen on 9-5's (so far) is typically minor. It seems to start at the lower front of the rear wheel arches. Most early cars I see around here have relatively minor cosmetic rust in this area that starts creeping under the paint in this area from where the trim rubs, until you loose a large fleck of it and have a rusty spot. Also, I have seen the "paint cracks" basically ALL 9-5's have at the top of the rear 1/4 panels & the roof line start streaming rust colored water from under the paint making a rust stain. A bead of silicon caulk would probably prevent this one.

The 9-5's don't however have the "whole rear wheel arch rust explosions" common to the 9-3's / NG-900's, so that's a good thing.

#14 ·
However I do a single drain every second engine oil flush ( 2 X 3k miles)
As has my Stage 4 Auto 9000 I have bigger bragging rights - my trans has a way worse rep than yours :)

I drain and fill every 3rd oil change (3 X 3K miles) and every third fluid change gets a new filter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.