Saab Link Forums banner

has anyone had trouble fueling there 9-5?

1K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Aero02 
#1 · (Edited)
as of late i have noticed it has been very difficult fueling up my 9-5. Almost as if the gas pump's rubber boot "vapor protector" or whatever its called is not forming a good enough seal on the cars fuel filler neck which then leads to the gas pump cutting off as if the tank is already full. I have tried fueling in every angle possible and its becoming a major PITA.

The only way that i found that works is to jam the pump way in there and carefully hold while compressing the handle on the lowest setting possible.
It takes me about 15-20 minutes to fill my tank.....and on top of all that I can never tell if its completely full until I get in the car and turn the key.

this is getting old really fast......anyone have this same problem filling up? Its probably not good "health wise" to spend 20 minutes filling up and having the gas pump "top off" like 100 times before the tank is full.

the only thing i could really think of was that the rubber boot on the gas pump housing is not forming a proper seal around the filler tube.

I really miss the days when you stick the gas pump in your car, click your desired setting and let it do its thing!

See less See more
#4 ·
Had that problem . . . the solution, I went to a different gas station, seriously . . .

Also, I noticed that happens when I use a high-traffic gas station on a warm/hot day. Could the gas station's reservoir tanks are almost empty or its a hot day, so could be vapors . . .

Try a different gas station . . .

#5 ·
I had this problem on my 9-3 recently. It was solved by shutting off the motor while filling up. No idea why this caused an issue, and no idea if you have the car running while filling, but that was the deal with mine.

Apparently I had never tried to fill up while the car was running before :roll:

#13 ·
I went to my usual 76 gas station the other day and i purposely chose the very last pump that happens to be situated in a spot that makes it very hard to exit the gas station. I put the gas pump in and low and behold it took the very first time and clicked when the tank was actually full.

I guess i must have just been having very bad luck with the gas pumps i've been choosing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.