Saab Link Forums banner

9-5 lpt vs 9-5 se?

3K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Aero02 
#1 ·
yeah so what exactly is the difference between the two? i have no clue to weather mine is the se or lpt? haha im just curious as to whats different between the two and how can you check to see what type your car is. thanks guys. and yes i know this prolly a complete NooB question haha

#2 ·
The 9-5 SE generally came with 3.0 V6 except for '99 when they first came out, both the base 9-5 and the SE had the 2.3t. The SE has 16" 5-spokes, while the base came with 3-spokes. Usually said 'SE' under the fender marker. You could option out a base to make it an SE, my boss has a base '99 with heated and cooled leather seats, decor panel, spoiler, the works.

#4 ·
The term low pressure turbo is sort of incorrectly used when it comes to 9-5s. In '99 when the cars went on sale, none of them had boost gauges which sort of followed the lpt 9ks. In all reality, the '99 cars had full pressure turbos, with apc or whatever you wanna call it, the following year the boost gauge was back.

The SE with the 3.0 V6 are better suited to be called a LPT for the shear fact that the turbo on those cars is tiny producing very little boost, 4-5 psi.

The Aero, naturally come with a beefier version of the 2.3t motor sporting a different ecm and turbo among other things.

#5 ·
ohhh, okay i think i get it now. hey by any chance do you know how to check to see if your car is a 4spd or 5spd. i have an auto but i read somewhere that saab made some base 9-5s that were a 5spd. is there anywhere to check on my car cause i dont know what i have. haha thanks man.

#12 ·
And that midrange version I believe was called the Vector. Saab was subsequently sued because the name was copyrighted elsewhere.

#14 ·
Twin Turbo 3.0 ?

Did Saab ever have a twin turbo version of the 3.0 ? I bought a 1 y.o. 9-5 SE wagon for my X in '02 and always wondered if that engine was tough enough to make, say, 300+ HP.:confused:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.