Saab Link Forums banner

9-5 Pricing advice (or should I sell my 9-3)

1K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  onewhippedpuppy 
#1 ·
There is a 2006 9-5 for sale near me.

Not sure what options are but the window sticker says 'base'.

It is black on black leather interior....looks like sport seats package.

It is 5 speed manual.

It has 31,800 miles.

Sticker price was either 17,800 or 18,700...kinda forget, but anyways, is this a deal? It looked to be in real good shape, basically new.

I drive by it every day and I am getting an itchy trigger finger....

I'm currently in a 2002 9-3 stage 3 nordic tuned, which is really nice and well kept since I owned it from new....seems like it needs something every couple months lately. In the last year I had a viggen clutch put in. Had some rust repair (cosmetic) done at the dealer (!). It gets great mileage (avg 27 to 29 on my commute, mixed driving).

IDK, what does anyone think...time to trade up?

See less See more
#3 ·
Personally, I would take an 04/05 over the 06 any day. The 06's are a better deal right now though. They are just uglier, and have cheaper interiors IMO. The upside is that they are all 260hp since there is no 'Aero', so even the base will have the TD04 and Aero power just without the heated/vented seats and all that jazz.

#6 ·
I don't know...everytime I drive by the looks grow on me a bit....Do all the 06 models have the 'Aero' spec suspension?

Also, it is not certified....
Nope, it wouldn't have the Aero suspension unless its an Aero...

Nothing that some lowering springs and (insert preferred brand here) sport struts couldn't fix though ;).

#5 ·
I'm not certain, but I believe the suspension is part of the upgrade package. The 'Sport' package or whatever it was called.

I honestly haven't paid much attention to the 06+ models though so I could very well be wrong.

Either way, I think you will enjoy the upgrade form the 9-3 to the 9-5. I have never owned a 9-3, but have had many rides in NG's/9-3's and am always happy to get back in the Aero. As long as the hatch space isn't a huge deal breaker I can see no reason not to go with a 9-5. Realistically, I haven't had any issues with trunk space(which is great compared to similar sized sedans)... but I'm not trying to throw a washer and dryer combo in there, either.

#7 ·
decent price for the year. Picking one up certified is only useful if you intend to keep it stock. if you want to mod it just look for low miles and whatever style you like. My 04 9-5 is my first but I love it.

#8 ·
Well, I test drove the 9-5 today, as well as a 2006 BMW 330i. I'm posting this sort of as a way to record my own thoughts, but please comment if you want!

The 9-5 drove a lot like my OG 9-3. Does the 9-5 have an independent rear suspension??? I don't know. I had only the chance to take it on smooth roads, so it felt pretty cush. The 9-5 engine was kinda 'growly', even with the stock exhaust. My car with the saabsport exh. is much louder, but the 9-5 has some sort of growl. I noticed not so much engine 'harshness' as I think some have attributed to it. I thought is was pretty smooth, at least in compro to my 9-3.

The 9-5 shifter seemed to be more vague than my 9-3's. Could that be due to the poly trans mount in my 9-3? Possibly. It didn't really feel great though. The clutch pedal was the biggest surprise. It offered so little resistance, as compared to the 9-3. It made my pedal feel kinda like a rock when I got back in it. The 9-5 clutch engaged higher too, which I don't really care for. My ideal clutch would have about 6 inches of travel and that's it....

The sport seats in the 9-5 were great. I don't think it had the sport package though, which is preferable for me....IDK, do sport seats mean the car has the sport package??? The only package listed under options was the 'visibility' package.

It didn't seem to have much grunt in 1st gear. What else....Acceleration was good, but is much better in 2nd and 3rd in my tuned 9-3. Of course the 9-5 offers much less torque steer.

The 9-5 has been on the lot for a while. The price has been dropped to 15,800. This is a very attractive price for a car with 32000 miles.

Later in the day I took out a 2006 330i, with sport package, luxo package, all kinds of crap. Xenons. Adjustable side bolsters in the seats. Full leather (chocolate brown...awesome!) This car had all the goodies, made the 9-5 look pretty plain by comparison.

The drive. Immediately I noted a really mechanical feel. The steering wheel offered significant heft, and was a nice small size. The shifter, though notchy, offers little resistance getting into gear. The clutch offers a somewhat long throw. More effort was required with the clutch pedal as compared to the 9-5, more on par with the viggen unit in my 9-3. Shifts were had to engage smoothly, in low gears. Perhaps I needs more training with this beefy transmission.

The car offers a feel of heft and security. Kinda makes my 9-3 feel like a playskool car by comparison.

Engine of the 330 revs nicely. Enough power but not overwhelming. The turbo kick in my 9-3 would be missed.

The biggest feature of the car is clearly the handling. Just no lean in this car. Seems to hold it's line pretty tenaciously in sweeping bends. It does transmit a lot to the passenger cabin with 18 inchers on stiff run-flat tires. Speaking of which, a winter tire/wheel set would be practically requisite with this car, which would be pricy considering the tire pressure monitoring system....not that I balk at it, I got a set on my 9-3....

Seems like almost too much car for a daily driver. As compared to my 9-3, the dang thing feels like a muscle car. I wonder what the mileage on one of these is. Will have to look up.

Of course the final stat is the price. The pricing is currently at 29,900, with 31000 miles or so, and the car is certified to 100K miles.

It is clearly more of a drivers car. I liked it a lot. I can afford it. So I guess I need to ask of my self, do I need a sweet bimmer for 2x the price of the Saab, or do I just want it.

I gotta get my head straight on this one.

Tomorrow I plan to go drive a 6mt aero 9-3. The 6 cylinder turbo. Saab is offering a lot of money off new ones right now. Hmmmm

Here is the bimmer http://www.dreyerreinbold.com/bmwindy/precar.asp?fan=GUEST008698B40368A65D89265094509&id=3886

#9 ·
dont do it!!not a bimmer....sooo many ppl i know have them, some different yrs....problems!!!!!!and my opinion on the newer saab....i dont like them, mayb the front end and the seats..thats pretty much it...i was also planning on getting one but i opted for my 05....more interior quality!!!not too much plastics...look at the 9-3 aero,those little crappers are fast...also lots of plastic interior but awesome exterior....goodluck bro

#10 ·
Yesterday I drove a 2008 9-3 Aero (255 hp 6 cyl and 6 speed manual) and later drove a 2008 VW R32.

The Saab first. Asked the dealer guy for a 9-3 Aero with 6 speed manual. He didn't think he had one, but we did find one on the lot. He gave me the keys and said "See you in a while!". Cool. First thing I noticed was a little steering wheel shake and the tire pressure monitoring indicated 'low' at all 4 corners, due to the recent cold snap no doubt. I stopped to make sure I wasn't riding on the rims, everything looked ok and went on my way. Tires were probably flat spotted due to sitting for so long.

Second thing I noticed was the shifter and clutch. Again the clutch was way lighter than that in my 9-3. Engages higher too. The shifter felt like it was being moved through viscous fluid everytime. Definitely took some effort to select gears, especially 2nd. Engagement of the clutch was followed by a nice mechanical/heavy-duty feeling.

The V-6 turbo (255hp) provides plenty of power. Unintentionally chirped the tires in 2nd a couple times. As many others have stated, power comes on more linearly. I never really wrung it out to redline in 2nd or 3rd, for fear of my driver's license. The sound of the engine is very muted, which is kind of disappointing. I love the frenetic sounds of my tuned 9-3 at full whack.

Interior was kinda 'meh'. If you've driven a 9-3 you know it's OK but nothing to get excited over. Nice and bland. Sport seats in the Aero are snug and comfy, which was the best interior feature.

Ride of the 9-3 Aero tended towards more 'cush' than sport. Didn't find any nearby roads that were broken up, which rattle the hell out of my car. I do know these cars suspension is vastly upgraded over the old 9-3. Am sure I would not be disappointed.

The dealer rebates as of yesterday take the sticker from 37K-ish down to $29K or so with owner loyalty. I am thinking $29K for a new SAAB vs same cash for 2 year old BMW (with warranty to 100K miles). Gotta say still leaning towards BMW (anybody want to talk me out of it?) I saw the previous poster's comments on the BMW not being reliable, but the car is a 'Edmunds Used Car Best Bet'. That's gotta stand for something. And warranty to 100K! The BMW is a car I'd never mod, so that warranty to 100K is looking pretty attractive.....

#11 ·
The 2008 VW R32.

This was a bad bad car. AWD, 250hp, DSG transmission. I was just looking at it in the lot, not really thinking I'd drive it. Salesman came up and asked if I was interested. I said I was.

In 20 minutes we were in the car. A cold wet rain had recently started. I had to pull a left across 3 lanes of traffic to get out of the lot. No issues with grip here. The AWD clutches the tarmac and holy crap the car took off. Little right foot application equates to much power applied. The engine sounds great. Much growl from this little car.

The DSG was the coolest feature of the car. You can shift using either the 'up/down' pattern on the shifter or you can use paddles on the wheel. DSG provides for instant and perfect gear changes without use of a clutch. I've been wondering lately if a clutch is really what I need. Especially after driving this trick little car. But I also wonder if the additional expense for a DSG car would go to waste, as with all auto-manual transmissions, I would presume the user would lapse into using automatic all the time.

Interior was pretty sweet. Needless to say, awesome sport seats. Nice leather. I don't know what else. Oh the steering wheel was sweet. Small, like the BMWs, but shaped and flat on the bottom.

Main drawback was the shitty fuel mileage ratings, 18/23. The BMW stock rating is for 18/28.

Also drawback, only offers on this car was 3.9% financing right now. No money no nothing. For a car that stickers at 32 or 33K or something. So that sucks.

#15 · (Edited)
Tito did you drive the v6t 6spd aero at fishers............the silver one with black leather. If so I drove that one last weekend right before you.

That clutch just takes a bit of getting used to but in the end I decided I liked it engaging higher up then down low. A problem the new clutch has in my opinion (same in the cobalt SS) is that if you drop it down to the floor, like my current 9-3 is, it has no strength to the pedal return spring and just wants to stick down there and then randomly pop up. However once getting used to it I decided I liked it better.

I don't think the v6 is really that muted at all as far as the exhaust note goes. Your right its not like a saab sport system on our og9-3's but its got just the right "pur" feel and sound to it much like a stock viggen with the remus.

The SS aero handles great. I took it down River Road (where all the mining places are) and took it through the twisties back there where they really need to do some road work. Handled it very well. I'm suprised you didn't take it down..........cherry road.........wasn't that the one we did that run at night down.

Shifter thing is just because its a cable system however I didn't think it took any effort at all once you got used to the feel of it.

Your right that the standard radio just leaves the dash lacking. I think it'd look better with the navi system.

Did John or the other guy help you? John is the bigger gentleman.

You'd be happy with the SS Aero. Its subtle yet powerful. Still makes for a great sleeper.

#16 ·
Yeah, I think we drove the same car.

I took it around the Fishers area but didn't go all the way back to Carmel. You must have taken it on quite a spin.

I was talking to the older guy, white hair.

After further contemplation I just don't think I can justify a brand new aero 9-3. Even with the rebates the depreciation is still just crazy. I could do one that was low miles and broken in, however. I'll have to scan the local cars.com and carmax and see if any are around and what they're going for.

#18 ·
Yeah, I think we drove the same car.

I took it around the Fishers area but didn't go all the way back to Carmel. You must have taken it on quite a spin.

I was talking to the older guy, white hair.

After further contemplation I just don't think I can justify a brand new aero 9-3. Even with the rebates the depreciation is still just crazy. I could do one that was low miles and broken in, however. I'll have to scan the local cars.com and carmax and see if any are around and what they're going for.
Yes I did take it for quite the spin. My little baby boy was laughing and talking the whole time while I had a big ole grin.

Stock that aero v6t is putting out what our stage 3 og9-3's are putting out but its got the chassis to handle it. Find one used on autotrader or ebay and you'll be just as happy. I prefer the new front fascia on the 08's and up now.

#19 ·
Having owned two BMWs and two Saabs, I can attest to the fact that a BMW is just as reliable as a Saab. Both will require regular maintenance, neither is a Toyota. Does the CPO 330i have the free maintenance program? That's a pretty sweet deal, I know it's offered on the new ones.

You get a lot for your money in a used Saab, but also have to deal with the depreciation. If I wasn't writing the check, I'd go with the bimmer every time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.