Saab Link Forums banner

Cloudy "Camry Effect" headlight lenses

8K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  DeLorean 
#1 · (Edited)
I know I started a similar thread a couple of months ago, and I've used rubbing compound on the lenses about 4 times and they go cloudy again within a few months.

I'm tired of screwing around with these things, and sorely disappointed in the quality of the plastic GM decided to use.

Anyone else suffering with crappy headlight lenses? If so, what are you doing or trying to remedy them? Are you replacing them? "Upgrading" to Xenons?

I'll be replacing my missing headlight sprayers soon ('nother story...), so I'd like to do this all at once.

Gimme your thoughts, ideas....

Edit: BTW, it's an '02 9-5 Aero Wagon, 5sp

#4 ·
Maybe you could get them clear coated?

I've seen a ton of stuff about cloudy headlights, the solution usually is wetsanding and polishing. I really wish the next car I get will have plastic headlights, so I wouldn't have to deal with pitted glass ones.
These ARE plastic, and I've wet sanded, polished, and what not, and STILL looks like a yellowed, crappy Camry headlight.

Trust me: You do NOT want plastic headlight lenses. The cloudy effect isn't coming from rocks or sand hitting them either. It almost looks like a chemical reaction, like they're slightly melting. I'm wondering if the headlight washers are the culprit.

I will look into the 3M covers in any case.

(After I wet sand and polish for the 5th time...)

#5 ·
This is the trouble with plastic headlights... clearly, they have yet to resolve this. The old ford taurus / volvo 240's were the worst for this. fairly sure some of those cars were yellowing just a few months after rolling off the showroom floor.

It's the plastics UV sensitivity. Keep it out of direct sunlight if you can. Might make your next set of headlight covers last a longer.

#7 ·
I know I started a similar thread a couple of months ago, and I've used rubbing compound on the lenses about 4 times and they go cloudy again within a few months.

I'm tired of screwing around with these things, and sorely disappointed in the quality of the plastic GM decided to use.

Anyone else suffering with crappy headlight lenses? If so, what are you doing or trying to remedy them? Are you replacing them? "Upgrading" to Xenons?

I'll be replacing my missing headlight sprayers soon ('nother story...), so I'd like to do this all at once.

Gimme your thoughts, ideas....

Edit: BTW, it's an '02 9-5 Aero Wagon, 5sp
If you do end up replacing them, get the xenons (e-codes if possible), although they are plastic as well, alteast you'll have better lighting. The 3m rock chip guards might be (or be available...) in a uv blocking type, which would help, the '05 has almost 60k on it and they still look brand new, hopefully it stays that way, this is on a car with drl turned off and garage kept as well for reference.

#8 ·
My 04 passenger xenon light is clouded. I think the driver's side was replaced from an accident before I bought the car. I polished it with something from Autozone, but it's back. I was thinking polishing them both and then headlight film to keep the air and hopefully UV off them. Pisses me off too. Wonder if there is a UV protection clear spray out there?

#10 ·
Wondering: Did the earlier 9-5's ever have glass headlights? Mine is an '02--first year of the revised front fascia.

#11 ·
yep, before the facelift the lenses were glass. And you could just replace the lenses for around $40 bucks a piece.

I polished out my '03 lights about 2 months ago, and they are still holding up well. I used a couple of coats of wax on them after I finished buffing them out.

#12 ·
I bought a kit at Autozone made by 3m for restoring plastic lenses. Basically does what every has already said.

Wetsands it then polishes. Comes with the drill attachment and 3 different girts of sand paper along with the polishing disc and some compound.

Did my GF's and her Dad's lenses a few months back and they still look pretty good.

#13 ·
Yeah, I know. I've wet-sanded about 4 times now (as stated earlier).

The point is, we shouldn't be having to do this. What a PITA.

#14 ·
Plastic is lighter, easier to mold to complex shapes, and more impact-resistant.

The big tradeoff is sandblasting and UV degredation.

I figure buffing mine out with my DA polisher and the Meguiars Pro Plastic Cleaner & Polish 1-2X/year while I've got it out to detail my car isn't that big of a deal. I do the tail lights too. Car looks brand new afterward.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.