Saab Link Forums banner

Slight "Clank" Sound on Downshift!!

1K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  SaabBlackMan 
#1 ·
I don't know if anyone has experienced this but while slowing down I open my window and here a slight "clank" sound at 10mph. It doesn't happen every time only when it gets to 10mph. Anyone every heard this sound before? should I be worried. I havent even put 100miles on the tranny yet. It drives smooth. but just sometimes I will feel a little jerk when the car is slowing down and it reaches the 10mph mark.

#8 ·
think a lot of us are in the same boat at this point. My motor mount stories start when I brought my 9-5 in in January for the timing belt. I mentioned that I had a lot of vibration (not normal for the V6) and if he was going to have the engine unmounted by the timing belt to check it out. My mechanic says he has never had to change that mount on a 9-5 and not to worry about it. He said he'd look at them though. He found the one under the battery to be completely broken in half, so I had him replace that. That thing had no affect on the feel of the car, other than I now get a clunk when it downshifts to first when I come to a stop. I then did the upper mount myself because my old one was caved in pretty well. There was a bit of a difference with the new one. Idle vibration was still very much there but under load the engine growl didn't resonate as much into the cabin. Now I'm getting fed up with the back and forth movements and clunks my car makes when changing from reverse to drive, etc, and when I start it. I think the torque rod mount is next on the list. Mine has a lot of play in it and looks to be sliding around quite a bit like yours. I'm also looking for reassurance that if I replace this mount it's going to make a noticeable difference, unlike the mounts I've replaced.

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134679&highlight=transmission+mount

#13 ·
x2 sounds like there was a slight install problem that needs to be corrected.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.