Mobile 1 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > General 9-5 Posts and Information

General 9-5 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the 9-5.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2008, 09:32 PM   #1
Avid TSL User

Mobile 1

Anyone have any problems with Mobile 1 full synthetic? Also, what weight should I use in the V-6?

Thanks
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2008, 10:07 PM   #2
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to chriscam84 Send a message via Skype™ to chriscam84
I've used Mobil 1 in all my Saabs, usually 0w-40 in the winter and 5/10w-40 in the summer. Works well. (not sure if the V6 would be any different)

I've heard horror stories about it being used in highly tuned machines, but for a stock(ish) car it can't be beat. Mine always looks practically new after I drain it after 3-4000miles of use.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 9-5 Aero JZW 5+
1999 9-3 Turbo
1995 900SE Turbo Convertible Nordic Stg II
1995 900S Convertible
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-02-2008, 10:09 PM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Aero
From what I've gathered, Mobil 1 is fine in a stock ride. Modded rides, not so much. With that being said, I use Royal Purple or Castrol Syntec in my Stage 4 9-3. My stock 1993 9000 Aero gets Mobil 1.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-03-2008, 05:24 PM   #4
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Redfoxx
i use Mobil 1 Syn. every time i change my oil. it's also used for any Saab that gets an oil change at our dealership...and, if you pop the hood on any new Saab it says Mobil 1 is recommended.

Old 09-03-2008, 07:30 PM   #5
Avid TSL User

Good to know. The guy I sold my old Saab to said the reason it cracked the piston was because I was using low quality oil but as far as I knew Mobil 1 was good stuff (he didn't know it was Mobil 1). Thanks guys! One last thing, I scheduled my oil change but the dealer said all they had would be 5w30, is that good or should I buy my own 5w40 or 10w40 or something?

Thanks!
Old 09-04-2008, 06:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero View Post
From what I've gathered, Mobil 1 is fine in a stock ride. Modded rides, not so much. With that being said, I use Royal Purple or Castrol Syntec in my Stage 4 9-3. My stock 1993 9000 Aero gets Mobil 1.
My 92 9000 gets Shell Ultra. It seems to clean very well

1992 9000 CS Nocturne Blue
Daily driver :318i BMW

Old 09-04-2008, 07:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero View Post
+1 on the Royal Purple. It's good stuff.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:32 PM   #8
User
Elder

Send a message via AIM to zingZACH
After seeing too many bad things happen with Mobil 1 in the modded Saabs, I just stick to my Castrol Syntec 10w40.... I have hear good things about Rotella as well.

Mobil one does not do well with heat and tends to breakdown very easily... It practically turns into water.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:21 AM   #9
JZW
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfoxx View Post
i use Mobil 1 Syn. every time i change my oil. it's also used for any Saab that gets an oil change at our dealership...and, if you pop the hood on any new Saab it says Mobil 1 is recommended.
Yea, its recommended for stock cars, but there were quite a few failures that seemed to be related to the thinning effect of mobile one. Automotion has a big point on their website to NOT RUN MOBILE 1.

They had quite a few tuned cars in Sweden blow bottom ends with Mobile 1 and as soon as they switched, the failures stopped.

I ran it once and it did seem very thin, I don't take any chances and I have an oil pressure gage and tested a bunch of oils and Valvoline held the best oil pressure, Castrol was the worst, down to 10-12psi at idle! Valvoline held a good 20psi or so at idle and 45-50psi at cruise. Rp is about 18psi at idle and 37psi at Cruise.

John
Old 09-19-2008, 03:44 AM   #10
Avid TSL User

We switched to Elf Excellium (recently rebranded to Total Quartz Energy 9000) earlier this year, including my Hayabusa engined Radical SR3 (Elf Moto XT). It's worked out great as they are all full synthetics. I buy it at www.PerformanceOilStore.com.

I'm surprised at the Castrol switch noted above because the US Castrol is not a true full synthetic or are you using the German stuff?

Feff

Old 09-19-2008, 09:15 AM   #11
Avid TSL User

I wonder if anyone else has info on Elf. I recently went to get an oil change (apartment complex kinda prohibits doing it myself) and they suggested 10w-30, which I accepted because I hadnt run accross any recommendations on here yet. Im running Mobil 1, and although I have some performance parts waiting for install, I think Ill wait until I get a better oil/weight in there. Ive heard the 30 is a bit on the thin side. Anyway, the indie shop I take my car to has Elf oils, kinda curious about those.

-96 900SE 5spd - 14.5psi of fun
Old 09-19-2008, 09:21 AM   #12
c900 Grognard
Elder

I usually use mobil 1 in the engine and trans, it's fine. I just go for it first because a) I want synthetic and b) all the other brand's bottle designs are too busy, and I can't be bothered to decipher them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zingZACH View Post
Mobil one does not do well with heat and tends to breakdown very easily... It practically turns into water.
Have you seen this firsthand, or tested it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronJoe
Korean wheels, man. Like catnip for the ladies.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:41 AM   #13
JK
Elder

Its worth noting that the 3.0t V6 is not a motor that is very picky about oil, certainly not to the extent of the 2.0/2.3 4 cyl motors.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:58 AM   #14
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Send a message via MSN to GenuineSaab Send a message via Skype™ to GenuineSaab
5-30 Mobil 7500 in all my cars. Never problems. You do have to watch the oil temp on the dyno when tuning.

Break in on 10-40 GTX

|
|

2.0 GOOSE 500whp + 8500rpm = 11.06 @125 E85
Viggen 439whp / 447tq 12.43 @114 on Gt2871.64, (Now 511whp Gt3076)
Nordic E85 9-3 SS Aero 320hp / 350ftlbs
Old 09-19-2008, 10:01 AM   #15
c900 Grognard
Elder

I feel like there's a lot of Mobil 1 haters out there for some reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronJoe
Korean wheels, man. Like catnip for the ladies.
Old 09-19-2008, 10:24 AM   #16
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to spgeebee88
i like my 15w-40 Shell Rotella
Old 09-19-2008, 12:30 PM   #17

This is interesting because I have just started using Mobil 1 0W-40 but I am running stage so I would love to know which one of these different brand of oil would be best to run on a tuning situation. (I don't want my pistons overheating)
Old 09-19-2008, 12:36 PM   #18

Send a message via AIM to Hiker
I use Mobil 1 and haven't had any issues in any of my vehicles.

Sit Nomine Digna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.