Saab Link Forums banner

Mobile 1

2K views 17 replies 16 participants last post by  Hiker 
#1 ·
Anyone have any problems with Mobile 1 full synthetic? Also, what weight should I use in the V-6?

Thanks

#2 ·
I've used Mobil 1 in all my Saabs, usually 0w-40 in the winter and 5/10w-40 in the summer. Works well. (not sure if the V6 would be any different)

I've heard horror stories about it being used in highly tuned machines, but for a stock(ish) car it can't be beat. Mine always looks practically new after I drain it after 3-4000miles of use.

#9 ·
Yea, its recommended for stock cars, but there were quite a few failures that seemed to be related to the thinning effect of mobile one. Automotion has a big point on their website to NOT RUN MOBILE 1.

They had quite a few tuned cars in Sweden blow bottom ends with Mobile 1 and as soon as they switched, the failures stopped.

I ran it once and it did seem very thin, I don't take any chances and I have an oil pressure gage and tested a bunch of oils and Valvoline held the best oil pressure, Castrol was the worst, down to 10-12psi at idle! Valvoline held a good 20psi or so at idle and 45-50psi at cruise. Rp is about 18psi at idle and 37psi at Cruise.

John

#5 ·
Good to know. The guy I sold my old Saab to said the reason it cracked the piston was because I was using low quality oil but as far as I knew Mobil 1 was good stuff (he didn't know it was Mobil 1). Thanks guys! One last thing, I scheduled my oil change but the dealer said all they had would be 5w30, is that good or should I buy my own 5w40 or 10w40 or something?

Thanks!

#8 ·
After seeing too many bad things happen with Mobil 1 in the modded Saabs, I just stick to my Castrol Syntec 10w40.... I have hear good things about Rotella as well.

Mobil one does not do well with heat and tends to breakdown very easily... It practically turns into water.

#12 ·
I usually use mobil 1 in the engine and trans, it's fine. I just go for it first because a) I want synthetic and b) all the other brand's bottle designs are too busy, and I can't be bothered to decipher them.

Mobil one does not do well with heat and tends to breakdown very easily... It practically turns into water.
Have you seen this firsthand, or tested it?

#10 ·
We switched to Elf Excellium (recently rebranded to Total Quartz Energy 9000) earlier this year, including my Hayabusa engined Radical SR3 (Elf Moto XT). It's worked out great as they are all full synthetics. I buy it at www.PerformanceOilStore.com.

I'm surprised at the Castrol switch noted above because the US Castrol is not a true full synthetic or are you using the German stuff?

Feff

#11 ·
I wonder if anyone else has info on Elf. I recently went to get an oil change (apartment complex kinda prohibits doing it myself) and they suggested 10w-30, which I accepted because I hadnt run accross any recommendations on here yet. Im running Mobil 1, and although I have some performance parts waiting for install, I think Ill wait until I get a better oil/weight in there. Ive heard the 30 is a bit on the thin side. Anyway, the indie shop I take my car to has Elf oils, kinda curious about those.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.