Saab Link Forums banner

In process of buying my first saab! suggestions/opinions needed!

2K views 14 replies 14 participants last post by  agnlxx 
#1 · (Edited)
Well I'll be purchasing my first Saab tomorrow. It's a (like my username sates) 2002 black 9-5 Arc. It has 88000 miles and seems to be in great shape driving and appearance wise. The only things that "bug" me about it are the headlights and door handles. The headlights are somewhat faded and wouldn't normally bother me, but I've seen other Saab's with nice clear headlights and it looks just too good not to have. So does anyone have any suggestions for some headlight cleaner to take care of this problem? The door handles have somewhat the same "problem", where they are pretty well sun faded. Are there any options to making this fade go away? If I could somehow get my hands on some less-faded door handles are they that hard to install?

Well thats mostly all I can think of for now. Thanks for any feedback/suggestions.

#6 ·
I would paint the door handles. I had this problem on my 2003 9-3 SS and it drove me crazy. U can use forever black but think of how many times your touching your door handle. I would just have somebody paint it the same color as the car.

On the later years 9-3 the door handles started to come painted, i think they were having to many problems with the plastic fading a weird color.

#9 ·
Thanks for all the replies I appreciate it. I'll be sure to post some pics of the new ride to the new member section real soon. Had the car for my first whole day and drove it 120 miles mostly on the highway...drove like a dream. I couldn't be happier with it. Thanks again

#13 ·
Well I'll be purchasing my first Saab tomorrow. It's a (like my username sates) 2002 black 9-5 Arc. It has 8800 miles and seems to be in great shape driving and appearance wise. The only things that "bug" me about it are the headlights and door handles. The headlights are somewhat faded and wouldn't normally bother me, but I've seen other Saab's with nice clear headlights and it looks just too good not to have. So does anyone have any suggestions for some headlight cleaner to take care of this problem? The door handles have somewhat the same "problem", where they are pretty well sun faded. Are there any options to making this fade go away? If I could somehow get my hands on some less-faded door handles are they that hard to install?

Well thats mostly all I can think of for now. Thanks for any feedback/suggestions.
Ummm.... unless you missed a 0 at the end of 8800, I would expect it to be in good driving condition and appearance lol :lol:

#14 ·
'02 Black 9-5 FTW.

To echo the other posters, use rubbing compound on those foggy headlights, then polishing compound (like rubbing compound, but less agresive), then a few coats of Mother's "plastic polish". I did this to my headlights and they look brand new. FYI those headlight "lens restoring kits" you buy at the auto parts store are complete junk! Just please TAKE THE HEADLIGHTS OFF THE CAR otherwise you'll scratch the shit out of your nice black bumper (ask me how I know)... Luckily I got a new bumper last spring (remember when my wheel fell off? :rolleyes: )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.