Saab Link Forums banner

Automatic Transmission Maintenance Discussion

653 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  fong 
#1 ·
I searched around on saablink, but I didn't come away assured about changing ATF in your car.

There are some key things that I read about transmission fluid changes. Firstly, machine flushing is bad because fluid forced at pressure through the transmission will dislodge crap and clog up the valves and other small parts in the auto trans and ruin it. I find that pretty believable. Secondly, changing the transmission fluid can kill a trans if it has not been done in a LONG time. This stems from the fact that the the new fluid will dislodge dirt which keep the seals working inside a transmission. However, routine fluid changes prevent accumulation of dirt and is perfectly fine. This is believable because a transmission is engineered to run on the fluid in its new, clean state. I don't believe an engineer would design a transmission to have silty burnt liquid running through it. Some say that ATF is not meant to be changed. Then why is there a drain plug? And why does the haynes manual list it under its maintenance items?

Any input is appreciated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.