Saab Link Forums banner

oil change for dummies

1K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  Champ 
#1 ·
My local shop now wants like 80 or 90 bucks for a damn oil change. F THAT.

So I put on downpipes and exhuasts and I don't change my own oil. that is going to have to stop :lol:

right now the aero has royal purple and it's been running nice, so I thought I would stay with that for now.

what weight should I be running?

for the lpt, it has mobil 1 synth... I have some clean 7500 semi-snyth in the garage. is is OK to go to that, or is some flush needed?

any tricks I should know, besides remembering to replace the drain plug with a new washer, and oiling the filter gasket and putting some oil in it?

#3 ·
I have never replaced the crush washers on my drain plugs. Never. Never had an issue with them either.

Another thing to watch, make sure the gasket comes off with the old filter. I've never had an issue with this either, but apparently some people do.

So yeah, drain oil. Remove filter.

Put plug back in. Replace filter.

Fill with oil.

As far as what type, make sure its a 40 weight oil, aside from that...everyone has a brand opinion, so I won't get into that.

#8 ·
That semi-syn 7500 is the exact same oil Saab sold as "Saab Turbo Oil" and was the factory spec'd oil for MY '99 and '00. That changed at some point but I do not know when.

At the hands of its first owner, my 2000 9-5 Aero lived on that oil without any ill effects for 84,000 miles (albeit with an average oil change interval of 4000 miles).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.