Saab Link Forums banner

Wheel bearing and bent wheels

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  abdukted1456 
#1 ·
I was told today that the repair will cost $1200. to replace a wheel bearing and the 2 right wheels due to "substantial damage". Saab said it was most likely a pot hole. Now, I baby this car and would have rememberd hitting ANYTHING that could have possibly caused this kind of damage.

My question is, has this happened to anyone in the past or am I just getting fed crap? I have the 5 spoke 17" rims, are they that weak or am I just oblivious to the fact that I would hit something like that to cause that kind of damage and not realize it? (and be nice)

Thanks all.

#5 · (Edited)
With the info given, I'd have to assume you have an '04 or '05 which would put the wheels at $276 each for part #400133377
and would make it a wheel hub and bearing assy at $311 for part #5392493.
eEuro has hubs listed for $159.90

nbndtain there are 5 spoke aero rims that have thicker spokes.
+ they are typically rather strong by comparison

As for the labor, I think that is where they are a bit high. Sounds like they want 3 hrs labor. flat rate on the hub should be about 1.2 hrs and then .8 for mouting the two tires. Then they probably have an hour diag to see two bent rims which puts them at par for the course by the books. See if they'll shave a little off since they are already taking wheels off to do either job, and ask if they will install hubs that you provide if your not feeling up to the task of doing it yourself and that should save you a little coin there, and as for the wheels, you can try going used.

#6 ·
If you really are most comfortable going through a dealer, do what he ^^ said.

If not, find an indy to do the work. A wheel bearing isn't rocket science, and can be done for less.

As for the wheels, at least buy two new wheels on your own (ebay, used, etc.) and have the dealer put them on.

Labor rate vs. Labor rate, the dealer will usually only charge you 15-25% more, its the parts that makes the difference.

#11 ·
you can link to the pic if it's n the internet someplace, like a website, photo bucket, etc... flickr, whatever.

use the little yellow box with mountains and sun in it, that opens the dialog for pictures posting.

DIY if you have some tools saves a ton of money, you'll learn about your car, and it's VERY rewarding feeling. Like I fixed my wife's climate control for 20 dollars worth of new tools needed, an 85 dollar part, and a few hours of my time. the Saab official fix costs 1500-2000!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.