Saab Link Forums banner

Tire Dilemma

1K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  aero1116 
#1 ·
As some of you know, I picked up a very nice set of Fondmetal 9A's for my 2000 9-5 Aero, to replace the stock Klingons.

The dilemma is what do I do with the rubber on the Klingons. I have some BF Goodrich g-force KDW's, which have only about 7-8 thousand miles on them. They have *awesome* grip, and are great in the rain.

So why not just swap them over to the Fondmetals? Because the KDWs howl like banshees at freeway speed.

Do I spend the 100-120 to dismount the old tires and get them remounted and balanced on the Fondmetals? Thereby just living with the noise until the KDWs wear out, or . . .

Or do I bite the bullet and spend 400, 600, or more for new tires?

#3 ·
If it were me, I'd use the rest of the Goodriches, but I don't care about road noise. All that money would probably be well spent on your SPG, but then again I'm not sure of your financial situation. But everyone likes free money :D

The other option would be to sell them.

And who the heck is charging you that much to mount tires?? I pay ~16 a corner, for mounting.

#5 ·
I had KDW's so I'm all to familiar with the horrid noise, but amazing grip.

I say run the KDWs and run them hard, they'll last 10K at best.

My solution to this problem was upgrade my suspension so I don't need the amazing grip of the KDWs. I've got Eibach springs, Bilstein Sports, and Fuzion HRi's. The HRi's are very good for an $80 tire, but they're no KDW's. I still have plenty of grip with good all seasons and no howl at 45 mph.

#6 ·
It is very much a question of where do I spend my Saab dollars - on the tires or on the SPG. Could I do both? Yes. If I did both, would she-who-must-be-obeyed object? Probably.

I'm leaning towards re-mounting the KDWs. I can live with the noise, I have for two summers. And to the extent I'm doing long highway trips this summer, it'll be in the SPG.

How much would a set of 1/3 used KDWs go for, were I to sell them?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.