Saab Link Forums banner

Clutch job

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Saaboy 
#1 ·
My papa has a '99 9-5. And a friend of mine, Zach_CDR, who should be more active on here pretty soon, just bought an '01 9-5 Aero. Both cars are showing symptoms of clutch starting to slip.

Has anyone done this clutch job at home? My dad has done the clutch on my 86 900s, it seemed much easier than most cars would be.

What tools would be required?

#2 ·
You have to pull the transmission apart from the motor. If I recall correctly the 9-5's do not have the same hinged sub frame as the 9000 series. Its not a impossible task to do at home but for a begining DIYer I would set aside at least a full weekend, if not two full weekends to get it done. (just in case)

#6 ·
Basic rundown:

Remove battery and tray
remove downpipe/delivery pipe.
loosen drivers side axle retaining nut
support engine
unbolt 2 sway bar end links.
start unbolting things that are connected to the subframe
keep unbolting more things so the subframe can be removed.
This includes the rear motor mount which is a pain. If you cut a small amount of material off the fabric stuff on the firewall, you can unbolt it all from the top with a lot of extensions and a couple wobble joints. This=major pain in the ass.
unbolt the two ball joints.
remove drivers side axle retaining nut.
remove clutch hose
unbolt trans (5 or 6 bolts)/
move it out of the way.
removal is opposite of reverse.

I know i left some stuff out, but i am not really thinking about it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.