Saab Link Forums banner

Low Oil Pressure During High-Speed Turn

2K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  mcrowley 
#1 ·
I was driving back to my office this morning and took a freeway cloverleaf at an aggressive rate of speed (the 394 west to Hwy 100 south interchange, for local interest)

At the apex of the turn the low oil pressure light came on and I got a "ding" warning sound at the same time.

It went away very quickly, it was on for maybe a second or two, and when I straightened out on Hwy 100 south, all seemed to be normal. I have oil pressure and temp gauges installed, they were reading 40 psi at 2000 rpm, 170 degrees F. It all happened so fast I didn't have a chance to look at the gauges during the event.

I assume I just turned into the off ramp so hard and fast that the oil was moving around in the oil pan, and I had momentary oil starvation.

Is that right? Any reason for concern?

The car has 127,000 miles, and is due for an oil change any day (5000 mi interval using Amsoil Euro spec 5W40).

#10 ·
Do any of the locals know where I can get a quart of Amsoil Eurospec 5W40 in the Twin Cities (without having to drive up to Andrews in Princeton)?

Failing that, is it acceptable to use another full synthetic 5W40 to fill up to the proper level?

#12 ·
#15 ·
I would say that even though the Td-04 is claimed to be "bulletproof" or something along those lines, 125k out of one is probably a pretty good guess. Especially when driven hard. I have guesstimated that mine has about 75k of Stage 3 Aero tuning on it, and about 25k of use on an LPT. Plus whatever daveships car had before he started tuning it. Thats a LOT of hard miles, so it has definitely seen it's fair share of use/abuse.

If I were you, I would pull either the inlet pipe or the downpipe (the inlet pipe is probably easier just because I doubt you will be able to pull the downpipe without one of those studs getting screwed up somehow as they seem to always do) and check the amount of play that it has. Mine now has quite a good deal of play to it and it's a no brainer why it burns so much oil. For reference, you can sit there and rev it and just watch the smoke come out the tailpipe. Not to mention, a friend of mine was following about 1/4 mile behind me with his windows up and was saying that he could smell all the oil. :lol: ...guess that is where my boost taper seems to come from.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.