Saab Link Forums banner

Clouding headlight lenses?

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  JLausch 
#1 ·
I see this all the time mostly on Camry's, but now I'm seeing it on our Aero.

I spoke to a service writer at International Saab. They claim it's the harsh detergents at automatic carwashes. (I'm crying BS as I hand wash mine...)

I've already used a polish once to clean them up, but they're getting bad again in less than 6 months....

Anyone else experiencing the lexan(?) lenses clouding up?

#2 ·
this is on the plastic lenses? Those suck... They are UV sensitive and it happens to all of them. Ever see a 1st gen taurus or 86-93 volvo 240? they have the ultimate in headlight yellowing. There are a few polish products you might try-- http://www.autogeek.net/3mplaspol.html

pretty sure ultimately they will need the lens covers replaced but there are several products that claim they can restore yellowed headlights, so give em a shot.

http://www.janvil.com/headlight_restore.htm

#4 ·
One thing that has worked well for me is just plain old turtle wax rubbing compound (the heavy cut) work that on and then finish it off with a little polish or wax and it may or may not work...... i know it works wonders on second gen DSM's from experience. If your lense doesn't feel rough to the touch it may be on the inside, in which case i feel bad for you..... good luck.

#6 ·
The lenses on my Dad's '04 9-5 Aero were doing the same thing. I asked my service writer, Dave, if we could do anything under warranty to replace them and at the time he said no.

I didn't push the issue since he lets me get away with everything and let a few months go by. Then we had a customer come in with the same complaint, Dave told him "no" then the customer called and complained to Saab and we ended up putting in new headlights for the guy.

At this point I ask Dave again, he says "no" again. Then I point out that we just did it for another customer, and asked him, "Do I really have to call Saab on this one?" The following week, we put new headlights in Dad's Aero.

Dave got a case of beer for knuckling under and Dad got $1400 worth of new lights in the front of his Aero.

You would think that if this happens so often and people complain that they would either A, be a little bit more friendly and warranty them or B, make better lenses.

P.S. The carwash soap thing is total BS, Dad does the same hand wash/wax thing as you.

#8 ·
Good to know, guys. I have ecodes on the Commemorative and have been considering them for the Aero for a while. I think both your experiences have me convinced. I'll be making a purchase soon.

Thanks again!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.