Saab Link Forums banner

considering a 9-5

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  GA 
#1 ·
I'm looking to upgrade to a saab 9-5 as my next car. What can you guys tell me about best years? which years to check with sludging? Modifcations? I already have a tdo4 15-t so getting an aero right off the bat may not be necessary. What can you guys give me? I want to know as mush about these cars as I can.

#3 ·
Please get an aero, more and more we are seeing small but potentially significant differences between these and the LPT. I have both and will prolly start upgrading the Aero now that I have reached a point in the LPT where these differences may be causing me issues.

If you get a 02+ you are in prolly the sweet spot for changes and price, and the seats are so awesome everyone should get a set, I mean that...

With an 02 aero you get a great steering wheel, the TDO4 already installed, decent stock suspension, the seats ( worth mentioning again) and the various other engine goodies...

#4 ·
when it comes to sludging I know it depends on how the car was taken care of but are they are years I should look out for more than others?

#6 ·
I've been looking at these too... Now I'm confused by the wealth of information I've looked at... lol

Are the 3.0t V6 cars less reliable than the 2.3T I4 Cars??

Or is this one of those... With the 3.0 the glass is half full, and the 2.3 the glass is half empty?? lol

#7 ·
In some ways the 3.0t V6 is more reliable than the 2.3T cars. Assuming that the timing belts are changed on schedule.

The downside of the V6 is that it's not really tunable at all, and the extra weight in the front makes the car nose heavy and has a subtle but real effect on handling. The V6 cars just don't seem as tossable in corners as the I-4 cars. At least IMHO

I would rank the 9-5's this way:

1. Aero
2. 04+ Arc (220 hp 2.3 liter)
3. V6
4. 185 hp base models (was that '02, or earlier?)
5. 170 hp base models ('99 - '01 IIRC)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.