Saab Link Forums banner

2004 9-5 ARC (USDM) vs. Aero--drivetrain specs/differences?

8K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  aero1116 
#1 ·
Hi All,

Asked about this on saabnet, but interestingly thus far nobody has been able to give me a definitive answer...

I have a 2004 9-5 Arc wagon, and have been hunting high and low to find detailed information on what the differences are between the Arc HPT motor and the Aero.

I'm assuming it's ECU programming, injectors, turbo, and exhaust--but those are all assumptions because I've not found anything specific on the web. (I've also searched the archives here to no avail.)

Can anyone point me to a resource that might have this information? Thanks!

#2 · (Edited)
As far as I know, the only difference is the ECU and Turbo. The exhaust is the same whether you have a GT-17(non-Aero) or a TD04(Aero) turbo aside from the rear muffler and tip, and the only difference in injectors for any 9-5 was for the 99 models.

As far as the engine itself, internally there should be absolutely no difference. There is some confusion on whether or not between 2000 and 2002 there were some changes in a few of the internal engine parts, but for 2002-2005 for certain all B235 blocks are the same. They may or may not have made changes for the 06+ models, but I do not believe they did.

#4 ·
The 04 Arc is a bit of an odd duck. It's an HOT motor, with 220hp; however the 04 Aero is rated for 250hp.

I'm assuming the turbo, injectors, and assorted hardware are the same; however the exhaust is not (under bumper exit rather than through bumper on Aero--although I don't know if ID", mufflers, etc are different). I also assume the ECU map is different--I haven't been able to find anything to show boost psi for the Arc vs. Turbo.

Even the service writer at the Saab dealer seemed unclear on the differences.

I really should call/stop by the local indy (Scanwest) and ask--I'd bet they would know.

#8 ·
Nick,

Thanks for the reply. Thanks also for the high-flow air filter and 06-up intake you sent to me this past week. Definitely sharpened up the throttle response!

Do you know if the Arc exhaust is similar to that of the Aero apart from the under-bumper exit, then? I'm probably going to upgrade that (after the suspension), but I'm curious as to whether the Simons exhaust is enough of an upgrade in terms of flow. Thanks!

Jon

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.