Saab Link Forums banner

Wintertime boost limiting.

2K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  StX221 
#1 ·
So, I posted a Wanted thread about a 2000 "sport" ECU from saab. The ones that the guys at SOC this summer got for $10. I didnt really get much of a response to it, so my next question.

What would be any long term ill effects to running base boost for the winter by connecting the Wastegate hose to the compressor hose and eliminating the BPC?

Or would i be better off to do that and then get an MBC and an old evap purge solenoid and run what eric did with the mbc and letting the ecu control the boost when it was off and using the mbc when it is on. This would give me the option to run base boost using the mbc, and full boost if i hit a switch.

Thoughts on if it would work or not?

#7 ·
cause while that is the "easy" way, i tried that last winter and the stupid torque still eats up snow tires. So I want to fiind a way where that isnt even an issue.

and 93Nut, if you unplug the electrical connector on top of the BPC, you get no boost. nothing over atmospheric pressure. that is t5 that does that with base boost. And i would like to make my experiment work without constantly having a CEL.

#18 ·
yea, mbc might work if the boost is really low. But as you know they tend to make all of the torque available at low rpms.. Not what you want.

Tried searching junkyards/ebay/craiglist for parts cars/ecu?
x2.

I drove my 95 CSE w/mbc over the winter and it was rather difficult to keep it from spinning due to the near instant spool up. If I were you I'd just get a stock ecu and swap back and forth...or just lay off the throttle a bit ;)

#21 ·
you could also disconnect the wastegate rod. But then you are going to have grandma's beeping at you at stoplights. Other then that starting in 2nd gear and shifting to 4th and 5th as soon as possible is the only way to eliminate spin.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.