Are these repairable? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 98-09 Forum > General 9-5 Posts and Information

General 9-5 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the 9-5.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2017, 08:59 PM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Troup
Are these repairable?

I had this beautiful set of RKII's on a 9-5 that I have given to my brother to drive.

He managed to do this damage to two of the wheels on the driver side. Don't know how it happened.

Really frustrated that it happened and now I'm struggling to find a shop that will repair them. I've called around locally and the general response is that I will need to replace them. I found a shop in Atlanta that I thought could repair them, but once they saw them in person they decided that they couldn't deal with the liability (after I drove 120 miles). I tried other shops in Atlanta with no luck.

However, I am convinced that they are fixable. One of them holds air and one does not.

What do you guys think?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-1992 9000
-1994 9000 Aero
-2002 9-5 Linear
-2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2017, 05:18 AM   #2
Elder

yikes!

That is incredibly unfortunate, and frustrating especially after letting your brother drive the car. Honestly, I think your best bet is to try to find new barrels.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-07-2017, 04:49 PM   #3
Elder

Definitely repairable. At the Rim Repair shop I go to I have seen some of those 22in with what looked like a V bent into the side that have been repaired

Take them around to a few places

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-08-2017, 05:23 AM   #4
Elder

Have your brother pay for the repairs. I've seen worse damage able to be straightened.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:15 AM   #5
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Troup
The bro paid for the rims, so it's his problem ultimately. But it still sucks.

I have asked about 4 different places that don't want to touch them. I feel like they are easily repaired with the right equipment. Might have to take them somewhere I know is reputable out of state.

-1992 9000
-1994 9000 Aero
-2002 9-5 Linear
-2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Old 01-08-2017, 11:55 AM   #6
Drew In Houston
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jssaab View Post
Definitely repairable. At the Rim Repair shop I go to I have seen some of those 22in with what looked like a V bent into the side that have been repaired

Take them around to a few places
I really hope you're not referring to the clowns at SportsCarTire in Wilmington DE.

Tires, Custom Wheels, Wheel Refinishing, Bent Wheels, Flat Repair, Nitrogen, Balance & Rotation at Sports Car Tire Inc. Wilmington, DE (302) 571-8473

I took a PTO day and made the drive to take a set of straight RK-2's to them for cosmetic refinishing on your recommendation, and the doofus came out, pointed to cracks in the clear coat, and told me that they needed new barrels because of all the stress cracks in the aluminum all over the place... he even called his co-worker over and told him right in front of me that all the "stress cracks" in these rims were really bad, so they both agreed

...and that just by luck, their associated company had a few they were trying to sell lol. Maybe he thought I looked like an easy mark or something?

They're complete dishonest jokers in my experience, especially if you have RK-2's that need repair because they're trying to upsell barrels--stay far far away from Tires, Custom Wheels, Wheel Refinishing, Bent Wheels, Flat Repair, Nitrogen, Balance & Rotation at Sports Car Tire Inc. Wilmington, DE (302) 571-8473 They're completely dishonest.

Last edited by Trionic3000; 01-08-2017 at 02:34 PM.
Old 01-08-2017, 02:13 PM   #7
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trionic3000 View Post
Actually Sports car tire WAS a part of Sports Car Service but they parted ways about 10 years ago ( when his @hole partner screwed him over) and then TIRES bought Bill's wheel business (Viking Wheel).

When it was part of Bills' as Viking Wheel, I was even going to buy the shop at that time. Those clowns at SC Tire told me twice they could not fix my wheels when 2 other shops did a fine job. Bill has a bunch of Saab wheels he kept when he owned Viking Wheel so those guys send a lot of Saab folks over to his shop.

I use ACR Powercoating in NJ now, they are the real deal. ACR Powdercoating I even Yelped about it I was so pleased. They repaired a stress crack in the barrel that others said could not be done.

I also shipped a wheel to this place in Atlanta, Special Rims Inc. They were able to fix a linear crack that no one else would touch. Not as good as ACR but happy nonetheless.

Last edited by jssaab; 01-08-2017 at 02:25 PM.
Old 01-08-2017, 02:32 PM   #8
Drew In Houston
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jssaab View Post
Actually Sports car tire WAS a part of Sports Car Service but they parted ways about 10 years ago ( when his @hole partner screwed him over) and then TIRES bought Bill's wheel business (Viking Wheel).
Ah! Good to know, (I'm going to edit my post above) I named Sports Car Service and he didn't correct me...it must have been Viking then. I will never ever ever ever go back to Sports Car Tire. The guy looked me right in the eye and totally lied, repeatedly. I wish I knew his name--it was totally outrageous but I did have the impression that he may have been the owner or partner or something. When he called the other guy over and told him to tell me there were stress cracks all over the place their interaction was like the other guy was his employee.

He just went on and on, and I tried to help him and told him I'm not totally ignorant of metallurgy and gave him an out, that maybe he could inspect them and at least clean the brake dust of the "stress cracks" to take another look, but he leaned into the car and pointed to about 5 other "stress cracks" that he saw... he just kept doubling down about how bad the rims were and that I needed to buy new barrels for them, that he conveniently had too many of at another company and that he'd give me a deal.. Finally I stopped him and just told him I was going to go get in my car and head out, he seemed surprised lol.

Stay away from Tires, Custom Wheels, Wheel Refinishing, Bent Wheels, Flat Repair, Nitrogen, Balance & Rotation at Sports Car Tire Inc. Wilmington, DE (302) 571-8473 they lie

Last edited by Trionic3000; 01-08-2017 at 02:39 PM.
Old 01-08-2017, 05:30 PM   #9
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

That looks about the same as one I got repaired in Cincinnati Ohio. I can't tell you exactly how they did it, but repaired it for about 200$. I suppose for that money it is possible they put a new barrel on. I wish I had a picture of the damaged rim, but apparently never snapped one. Attached a pic of the parts care we bought that it came off of though. You can get an idea of the damage it had received from the rest of the car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0032.JPG (97.7 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by Tboy; 01-08-2017 at 05:33 PM.
Old 01-09-2017, 06:16 AM   #10
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trionic3000 View Post
Ah! Good to know, (I'm going to edit my post above) I named Sports Car Service and he didn't correct me...it must have been Viking then. I will never ever ever ever go back to Sports Car Tire. The guy looked me right in the eye and totally lied, repeatedly.

Stay away from Tires, Custom Wheels, Wheel Refinishing, Bent Wheels, Flat Repair, Nitrogen, Balance & Rotation at Sports Car Tire Inc. Wilmington, DE (302) 571-8473 they lie
Yeah that was most likely Frank at Sports Car Tire I think, he is one of the owners of the Tire Shop and the screwed Bill Jacobsen out of the some of the business. No love lost there but Bill Sold Viking Wheel to them when His partner in that business was diagnosed with cancer. I was talking to him about buying it ( with Aireeca from here actually)

The guys at sports car tire told me my Hirsch wheels were not fixable and that they were "cut round"?? and he pointed at something and made me fell like the moron. Told me to buy another yeah like that is easy to do) then after taking the wheel elsewhere where they fixed it no problem I figured out that he was.

Viking Tire was actually right in Bill's shop before

Last edited by jssaab; 01-09-2017 at 06:19 AM.
Old 01-09-2017, 10:13 AM   #11
Avid TSL User

FWIW, I had a great experience at Viking Wheel and Tire many years ago. I hit an enormous pothole on I-80 that bent and cracked one of my 17" Racing Heart Evolution C2's. Bill and I spoke at length over the phone about how he would weld the crack, repair the bend, repaint the face and machine the barrel. I knew he was the man for the job. He was very concerned that the wheel might not have the same strength, but would do his very best. I haven't had a single issue with the wheel in the 8 years since the repair. Honesty and care; can't beat that for $100.

Wish they were still in business.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.