'93 Aero into '92 non-turbo. - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9000 Forum > Customizing Your Saab 9000

Customizing Your Saab 9000 This forum contains all CUSTOMIZING related Q&A's, such as Lights (taillights, headlights, turn indicators, clear corners, etc), Interior and Exterior modifications, Wiring, Gauges and more.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2012, 10:27 AM   #1
Avid TSL User

'93 Aero into '92 non-turbo.

The plan is to swap everything (almost) over from the 93 to the 92. So far, I will be swapping the engine w/ t5.2 + aero suspension + complete interior including the dash + all four doors and aero side skirts. The reason for swapping the doors is the 92's are all rusted out.

If youre wondering why I'm giving up on the 93 shell, the reason is simple. Rust has consumed the back end and mainly the driver side rear shock tower. The car was also cheaply repainted and looks like crap no matter how hard i try to keep up on it.

Has anyone every fitted cs f/r bumpers to the old style? Looks like the front fender would be a problem. The back looks even worse.

Anyone have any tips for removing the dash? Couldn't find much other then how to remove the top part.

Next, has anyone ever switched the seat tracks from a manual seat to a power aero seat? I would like to keep the seats manual.

A picture of my home-made 3inch downpipe- made with a 6inch raduis u bend, about 2 ft of straight pipe, and a chop saw.

Time for a flex pipe? Its lasted a year hanging this low:

Pics of the non-turbo:

Pics of the Aero:

*sry for the crappy images

Last edited by john85020; 11-05-2012 at 10:30 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2012, 04:00 PM   #2
Avid TSL User

One engine out about 3 hours later, still a long ways to go...

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-06-2012, 09:41 AM   #3
SAABeginner

you can switch the front of the 93 to 92/fenders, hood, slam panel, the lot basicaly)the rear end will require alot of modifications for the bumper. Since it looks to be a sedan...
also to make the seats manual you would have to swap the leather skins and cushions over to the manual frame and the weld the aero shoulder parts to the manual frame.

Old 11-06-2012, 11:39 AM   #4
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saabismi View Post
you can switch the front of the 93 to 92/fenders, hood, slam panel, the lot basicaly)the rear end will require alot of modifications for the bumper. Since it looks to be a sedan...
also to make the seats manual you would have to swap the leather skins and cushions over to the manual frame and the weld the aero shoulder parts to the manual frame.
Actually, its a hatchback. Just looks like off in the picture. Gonna grab both bumpers and at some point try to make them fit. Then we'll have a definate answer either way.

Too bad about the seats, I'll grab the wiring from the '93 before its taken away.

Gonna be putting in an order for a head gasket kit and some other stuff then tonight I'll strip the interiors. The dash is probably gonna be a bitch to swap and of course the n/a has the ugly brown one.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:59 PM   #5
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by john85020 View Post
Actually, its a hatchback. Just looks like off in the picture. Gonna grab both bumpers and at some point try to make them fit. Then we'll have a definate answer either way.

Too bad about the seats, I'll grab the wiring from the '93 before its taken away.

Gonna be putting in an order for a head gasket kit and some other stuff then tonight I'll strip the interiors. The dash is probably gonna be a bitch to swap and of course the n/a has the ugly brown one.
Dash isn't terrible, just takes time also were a long sleeve shirt to prevent cutting yourself on all the sharp metal on it.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:06 PM   #6
Avid TSL User

Got both cars stripped down to the headliners and carpets yesterday. Couldn't do much today tho.

Removing the dash is pretty simple, the outter shell basically unbolts with the blower and air ducting in place. here's the procedure:

Remove dash top, center console, and front fascia (lots of info on this).

Remove air bag which is held on from the back with two t-25 torx screws. Unbolt the steering wheel (21mm nut) and pull it free. (mark it if reinstalling onto same car)

Now, the dash is held in with a few screws. Two 8mm bolts on either side facing the doors. Two more t30 torx screws hold the inner dash to the air box. One on either side. Finally, two more 10mm bolts on either side behind the speakers. You also need to unbolt or disconnect the speakers and fuse/ replay panel.

After that, it pulls out with the lower air ducting attached or you could remove it.

I removed the glove box but I don't think it was necessary.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:21 PM   #7
Elder

Wow....that's a boner of a job.

Kudos for tackling the project. Not for the faint of heart.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:05 PM   #8
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by VI009DZ View Post
Wow....that's a boner of a job.

Kudos for tackling the project. Not for the faint of heart.
Thanks bro. I gotta finish fast too in oder to keep the neighbors off my back. Gonna be an interesting few weeks...
Old 11-13-2012, 11:34 AM   #9
Avid TSL User

hey guys, the project is sort of stalled because of eEuroparts. Apparently, ships in 24 hours actually means ships in about a week. They also held my whole order for one stupid o-ring. And with their slow ass shipping, I won't be seeing my parts until two weeks (14 days) after I ordered them. Last order I make thru them since their service has gone to shit.

But the good news is, this gives me a chance to experiment with the bumpers! The first problem I noticed right off the bat is the Aero bumpers have these clips along the fender which aren't there on the 92. That should be a workable problem though so expect another update on what happens with the bumpers.

-John
Old 11-13-2012, 02:35 PM   #10
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

order through parts geek if you can. prices are lower most times too. i usually look up the parts and brands i want and still find cheaper prices.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:44 PM   #11

Very keen to see how this plays out as I'll be swapping a 97 Aero setup into a 93 CDE. Also how did you car get so rusty? Isn't Arizona a really dry state? I thought like Arizona/Nevada/New Mexico just had paint problems cause it faded off from the sun?
Old 11-13-2012, 05:07 PM   #12
Avid TSL User

Yep, I would of used a 94+ car in a perfect world. Strong transmissions (supposedly) and t5.5 would be a little easier to work with. For me it was a case of working with what I had plus I like the short gearboxes which are somewhat easier to find for the older style.

As for the rust thing, the problem is finding a native AZ Saab is almost impossible. In the dozens of Saabs we've looked at over the years only ONE was actually from AZ. The Aero was from PA originally and was bought with the rust and some tcs issues for super cheap with the plan of eventually taking the good stuff and scrapping the rest.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:35 PM   #13

Is this an Aero bumper on this 91 9kt?

http://www.saablink.net/forum/550691-post35.htm

'91 9000CD Turbo, Auto, Iridium Blue
'92 9000T, 5MT, Black (Twins!)
Also Caring for: '02 9-3 SE, '91 9000T, '97 9000CSE, '98 9000CSE, '99 9-5, '00 9-5

Last edited by dantinne; 11-13-2012 at 08:37 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:50 AM   #14
Elder

No, that looks like a Carlsson bumper. The Aero bumper is pretty much the same as a CSE bumper except it wraps around all the way to the wheelwell and doesn't have that vertical black rubber/plastic divider below the cornerling light...........and it still uses an air dam below that holds the fog lights.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:04 AM   #15

definitely carlsson/airflow bumper. i've had two
Old 11-20-2012, 11:12 AM   #16
Avid TSL User

Alright, sorry for the lack of updates. As it sits, the the interior is pretty much complete. I put the glass sunroof from the '93 along with the headliner. Still need to put the seats in and pillar covers are all still off while I try to reglue them.

Doors are on too and seem to line up but I won't know for sure until I get the car off jack-stands.

Most of the work is now foreward of the firewall but I'm still waiting on those parts

Oh I didn't mess with the bumper yet, had alot of stuff come up this week with thanksgiving and all.

Didn't charge my camera so no pictures for a few days.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:35 AM   #17
Avid TSL User

Forgot the mention, even this base model was prewired for power seats which is awesome.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:38 PM   #18

Have you ran into any difficulites with this so far? Besides eEuros, extremely slow ass shipping. I just pulled the motor from my doner car and am going to be taking it over to the machine shop this up coming week for them to fully rebuild it. It runs strong but its been sitting for a year now and its got 210k on it so I figured its better to make it like new prior to installing it. Very excited to see someone else is doing this right around the time I found my super rust free one owner shell.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:24 PM   #19
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mike d
nice work

and t5.2 is not as bad as you think once you have the tools to work with it. it may be a good idea to look into a Tcs delete while its all apart. this would allow you to not have to change pedals, and throttle cables on the car, as well as dodge rewireing you base model for a tcs ECU. it would defanitly be a work saver in the long run!

Mike d
Old 11-24-2012, 12:15 PM   #20
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike d View Post
nice work

and t5.2 is not as bad as you think once you have the tools to work with it. it may be a good idea to look into a Tcs delete while its all apart. this would allow you to not have to change pedals, and throttle cables on the car, as well as dodge rewireing you base model for a tcs ECU. it would defanitly be a work saver in the long run!

Mike d
thanks! shoulda mentioned tcs was already removed from the t5.2 car. one less thing to worry about.

also, more crappy pictures:

the mostly installed dash.

newer style glass sunroof just bolts in. appears to have much better rubber seals as opposed to foam on the old one.

obviously, the moldings are different but which ones to keep? will probably depend on what happens with the bumpers.

$400 dollars down the drain:\ More b/s from eeuro. an o-ring that was advertised as Genuine Saab is actually some no name brand and the RMS which was advertised as OE elring is Victor Rienz; a company with a shady reputation.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.